Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Floating consistently

Indy

Reaction score
Hi this is my first post on this forum
So a bit of back story, I got my wild kind of axolotl in April so around 7 months ago and he is now 1 and a half years old
For the last month mooshoo has been floating more and more regularly and now he/she (I’m not sure) is consistently at the top of the tank
I checked the water parameters consistently and they are all perfectly normal
His gills are not curved forward, his tail isn’t kinky and he’s not discolouring and he doesn’t show any other obvious signs of sickness
He eats earth worms regularly but he isn’t as big as a lot of axolotls I see pictures of (def notunderweight)
I live in Sydney aus so it does get hot but I have really good air conditioner in my room so his temperature stays cool
I barely ever see poops so im not sure if it’s constipation - im just not sure why he would be constipated for so long
I’m really worried that it’s a fungus or infection that’s keeping him up the top
I’ve only had reptiles before him so I’m not sure how to diagnose or fix any serious illness if he does have one
Any help would be appreciated!

NinjaNewt

Reaction score
This is exactly what mine is doing, I’d try changing the water and checking ammonia levels. I just changed the water and he came back down to the ground, but he just likes to float for the most part.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!