Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Massive ammonia spike

celestiallotls

Reaction score
So ive had this sponge filter going for about two and a half months now. ive never had any issues with this tank until today. i was doing routine weekly parameter checks. my normal levels are ph: 7.5, ammonia 0.0, nitrites 0.0, nitrates 5.0. my ammonia was at .5 and im freaking out. i immediately removed my axolotl and put her in my hospital tank to make sure she was ok but ive never dealt with something like this before. im thinking she might have spat up a worm and it got under the sand and died? i added some seachem stability but i know thats not a miracle cure. i have a few other sponge filters but theyre all not 1000% cycled yet. could i go to a lfs and ask for some filter media they dont need or something?

Hayleyy

Reaction score
It doesn't hurt to get some filtered media from your lfs. Have you found the source of the spike yet? How big is your tank and do you have any other filter or just the sponge?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!