The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 2nd January 2013   #1
Joe
(MearWolf)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: MearWolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Worms from a fishing shop

Hi. I'm looking at getting some Axolotls soon and I've been doing some research into where I can get food from.

Would people warn against getting live worms from a fishing tackle shop because of possible uncleanliness and/or chemicals?

Or would they be fine?

MearWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013   #2
nai live
(xxianxx)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 7
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Worms from a fishing shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MearWolf View Post
Hi. I'm looking at getting some Axolotls soon and I've been doing some research into where I can get food from.

Would people warn against getting live worms from a fishing tackle shop because of possible uncleanliness and/or chemicals?

Or would they be fine?
I wild collect earthworms from chemical free areas, dig them up from my chemical free garden and buy them from bait shops. Try to source organic worms if you can lol, the guys in the bait shop will laugh them selves stupid when you ask.

Old 2nd January 2013   #3
Joe
(MearWolf)

Nationality:

Haha, easier said than done. I live in a city centre.

So if they know that their worms are organic, I should be ok to buy from a bait shop?

Old 2nd January 2013   #4
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

Ask them how their worms are harvested. They often use soap or surfactants.

You'd be better off getting them from a pet shop.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013   #5
Joe
(MearWolf)

Nationality:

My only local pet shop is Pets at Home and I've never seen them stock worms.
I suppose it's worth asking though.

Old 2nd January 2013   #6
nai live
(xxianxx)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaysie View Post
Ask them how their worms are harvested. They often use soap or surfactants.

You'd be better off getting them from a pet shop.
The UK doesnt have a worm collecting industry like the US, most of the earthworms that are for sale in bait shops are farmed, some will be organic some wont, which is why I said to ask the guys in the bait shop.

Old 2nd January 2013   #7
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

You guys don't grunt your worms?
To Get Worms Out of Soil, Just Grunt - YouTube

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013   #8
nai live
(xxianxx)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Unfortunately in the UK we are short of hillbillies / red necks / hill folk etc to perform this specialized vocation.

Old 2nd January 2013   #9
wandering

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: wandering is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgwandering is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgwandering is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgwandering is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgwandering is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

But we do have these, and they even have a website

www.wormcharming.com

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

wandering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2013   #10
nai live
(xxianxx)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering View Post
But we do have these, and they even have a website

The World Worm Charming Championships at Willaston, near Nantwich, Cheshire

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Sorry, should have added "we are not short of idiots however so it could potentially happen!"

Old 3rd January 2013   #11
Joe
(MearWolf)

Nationality:

When I used to fish, the easiest thing was just a watering can with clean water

Old 5th January 2013   #12
kimo

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: kimo is an unknown quantity at this point

I buy my worms from my local fishing shop & never had a problem although I am building a wormery. I live in a town so I figure grow my own Then i know what they been fed on.

kimo is offline   Reply With Quote