Axolotl foot

carlydarling

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Good morning

New axolotl owner here, and I’ve had my first two for about two weeks.

Not a problem yet, seem to be settling nicely.
However I woke up this morning to my girls foot looking a little messed up.
She has had a mark on her foot since I got her that looked like she had previously had something attack her foot. She didn’t seem to use it as much, but also didn’t seem to be in too much pain over it.
Although it looks like my male had bitten her toes, except there’s no real wounds. And he’s never attacked her before this.

Could it be something else? Should I serperate them? I’m really worried.

Attachments

• 6E9BBAC1-3584-4169-A1FD-BC0361B20F63.jpg
    6E9BBAC1-3584-4169-A1FD-BC0361B20F63.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 197
  • CADA538E-29B6-4B40-934D-3E1BD4CB4E1D.jpg
    CADA538E-29B6-4B40-934D-3E1BD4CB4E1D.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 158
It looks like she's caught it or it's been bitten.. could you get another photo at a different angle? It might have a bit of fungus on but I can't see too well to distinguish whether it's skin hanging off or a bit of fungus.

Doesn't look like anything serious :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What size tank are the axolotls kept in? As a rule of thumb there should be at least one foot per axolotl. Bear in mind that overcrowding with ornaments also restrict the moveable space for axolotls and given that they're vision-poor, they will generally snap at anything waved before them.

The foot doesn't look infected or anything, but if you are concerned you can separate them and place the female in a tub and into the fridge to assist with regeneration.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back