Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Rescued Axolotl Sick Need Help

Hayleylalala

Reaction score
This one is a sad guy. I went to purchase an Axolotl and the lady had a few sickies that had been brought back, due to poor ownership of course. This guy was actually abused by a guy who was making him jump out of the water to be able to eat. His girlfriend felt so bad she brought him back. The lady told me he was eating worms but I’ve only been able to get him to eat once. I was worried about him so I’ve had him in the fridge the last two days. It seems that his bloating has gone down a little as he was on his back but now he is floating on his side. There’s not an Axolotl experienced vet in my area and I hope what happened to him isn’t normal so I’m looking for helpful suggestions or advice.

Attachments

• 81A3AB30-84B9-49A3-BE5C-3080EE174EB4.jpg
    81A3AB30-84B9-49A3-BE5C-3080EE174EB4.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 1,209
  • 6E87B399-E77C-41AD-8330-D3DDB05AD6F5.jpg
    6E87B399-E77C-41AD-8330-D3DDB05AD6F5.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 318
  • 8DE01AF8-1F45-46EA-B75E-7440773D3265.jpg
    8DE01AF8-1F45-46EA-B75E-7440773D3265.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 490

Hayleylalala

Reaction score
I also wanted to note in the shaded picture it looks like a dark purple huge bruise but that’s just the shading which is why I attached the pictures in the light! His veins also used to be a lot more red and he appeared to have a red rash look on his tummy that is now gone. Just wanted to add that info in case it helped with a diagnosis!

KumquatSquats

Reaction score
Is he pooping? and I noticed they are floating enough to be above the surface of the water, or is that just to take better pictures? if they are floating to the point that half the body is above the surface you will need to figure out a way to keep them moist, that's why i ask.

The redness really worries me, redleg or other infections can lead to bloating and not knowing the conditions they were in before makes it a bigger possibility.
Personally, I would treat with furan-2 and 100% holtfreter's solution if possible to cover all basis, I'll link a site that goes over other safe treatments and symptoms of infections.
http://www.axolotl.org/health.htm

Hayleylalala

Reaction score
Is he pooping? and I noticed they are floating enough to be above the surface of the water, or is that just to take better pictures? if they are floating to the point that half the body is above the surface you will need to figure out a way to keep them moist, that's why i ask.

The redness really worries me, redleg or other infections can lead to bloating and not knowing the conditions they were in before makes it a bigger possibility.
Personally, I would treat with furan-2 and 100% holtfreter's solution if possible to cover all basis, I'll link a site that goes over other safe treatments and symptoms of infections.

He wasn’t eating since I got him but the lady who raised him said he was pooping when she had him back. Yesterday was the first day he finally ate for me and this morning but he hasn’t pooped. I figured it was due to an empty belly before and now it hasn’t been a full 24 hours since he started eating for me so I’m not too worried about the poop yet. I was worried about red leg but he looks nothing like any of the pictures I found but I was worried it might be something bacterial anyway and was actually looking into using furan-2 as soon as I got my paycheck tomorrow or the next day as per the site you sent actually. I couldn’t find a dosage though. Would he receive the same dosage as the bottle says or less since he’s an amphibian?

Hayleylalala

Reaction score

Also yes he is so bloated his belly sticks above water but he’ll flip around sometimes and his stomach seems to be staying moist everytime I look at him.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1