Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Eggs and heat radiator

manderkeeper

Reaction score
I was playing around with my temp gun today and noticed the second metal piece above the heat radiator in my snake room stays around 85F most of the time. I had some female crickets laying eggs in a plastic drinking cup that has plastic wrap on it held on by a rubber band. I put the cup on the metal and the ambient is staying at 80F. I don't know for sure what temps most of the eggs are at, but I'm guessing between 80 and 90F. I hope this will become an easy place for me to hatch eggs over the winter, I could fit quite a large number of cups on there as it's about 4' long. Best of all, I already paid for the heat!

manderkeeper

Reaction score
First crickets hatched this morning. Happy to say the radiator is making a fine incubator. The eggs at room temperature in the snake room (75F) have yet to hatch but the eggs seem to be making good progress as I can see large, dark blobs in them, too. The extra 5-10 degrees made a huge difference in time though as the ones on the radiator were started several days later and hatched first.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!