Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Strange worms, new axolotl

Krispy

Reaction score
I recently received a beautiful freckled Lucy a week ago, he was eating like a champ up until this morning. I also noticed some thrown up nightcrawler with tiny little white worms around it. I have never seen these worms and I’ve been keeping axolotls for almost 2 years. I’ve been using the same worms, DMF brand, the entire time. Should I dose panacur? What is the exact dose for Panacur? I can’t find anything except “use a small dose”. Please give me you’re advice!!! I attached photos, too.

Attachments

• 1632E394-3EDF-43CB-B626-64358182A3BA.jpg
    1632E394-3EDF-43CB-B626-64358182A3BA.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 140
  • BE8DFCCD-F752-490B-9D88-218F5533A199.jpg
    BE8DFCCD-F752-490B-9D88-218F5533A199.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 117

NexSocius

Reaction score
Most likely detritus worms, they are totally harmless. They feed off gunk that’s left in the tank, and the best way to get rid if them is by vacuuming poop and gunk out daily.
I would be hesitant in adding any chemical unless absolutely certain it’s safe, as axolotls are highly sensitive.

Krispy

Reaction score
I came to the conclusion that the tiny worms, detritus or not, came from the nightcrawler that I chopped up to feed. Once my axie ate the nightcrawler, the smaller worms might have tickled their belly and cause the meal to be thrown up. This axie came from a highly reputable breeder, so I doubt there were parasites internally. I clean all my tubs daily, so detritus build up is not a factor either. Just a freaky incident with a feeder worm. I'm continuing to check for any more of these worms on the bottom of tubs, and no more signs.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!