Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: He's floating...

Twilightwolf129

Reaction score
So my three year old golden albino decided he hated food. Just food in general, didn't matter what kind. Long story short he became severely under weight so I removed him from the tank he was in with my other axolotl and eventually got him eating earthworms willingly. Then I came home from work one night and he was floating, kinda ragdoll like, more towards his back end with his limbs just hanging down and unable to sink to the bottom. He was flipping out in the tank and getting really stressed so I followed the fridging guide on here and he's been in there for almost a week. Problem now is that he floats in the morning then in the evening after I massage his stomach he gets rid of a couple bubbles and sinks down to the bottom. By the next morning he's floating again and the cycle repeats. Does anyone know what's going on and how I can make it stop?

Twilightwolf129

Reaction score
Tank parameters were normal.

Attachments

• IMG_20181124_203150.jpg
    IMG_20181124_203150.jpg
    463.4 KB · Views: 156

Twilightwolf129

Reaction score
Okay guys, he's been in the fridge for about two weeks and he's still floating. He's starting to roll now if he trys to move too fast. I'm afraid that I'm going to loose him. My axolotl expert isn't answering my messages and none of our vets know what to do. Please give me some suggestions at least on what I can do. I don't care if it might not work but I need to do something.

lacieb315

Reaction score
hello, im no expert by any means but im very worried about youre little guy and wanted to know if you tried taking him to a vet? (sorry i didnt notice where you said you did) did the vets give you anything?

Twilightwolf129

Reaction score
I talked to my local vet they don't know anything about axolotls. The closest herp vet is an eight hour drive and I don't think he'd make the trip. He's stopped rolling and isn't floating quite as much. Or at least he's sinking more often but doesn't stay down for long. He is still eat and seems to be excited about it.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Eating is always a good thing. Have you noticed if he is pooping normally? What are your tank parameters?

Twilightwolf129

Reaction score
The tank parameters were all within normal ranges when I took him out. When he first went into the fridge he got rid of everything in his system. I took him out as he was there for a month and it didn't solve the floating issue and I still wanted him to eat since he's so underweight. He's still in the tub I used to fridge him so I can keep the water level low enough to keep him from getting stressed. He takes the earthworms quite violently but hasn't pooped in about a week. I'm fairly certain he's constipated as it's his back end that floats now. He does still burp a lot of bubbles but every half hour or so he sinks to the bottom of the tub, stays there for a few minutes, and then he's floating again. His gills look slightly better. A couple of them are a bit longer and the frills look a bit more full.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
I've heard wax worms dipped in olive oil works as a laxative so maybe give that a go. Do you have a side view photo of him?

Twilightwolf129

Reaction score
IMG_20181219_200358.jpg

IMG_20181221_083933.jpg

I can't seem to catch a pic of him floating. This was the best I could get. I'll give the oil a try and see if that helps any. At this point it can't hurt.

LunaandArte

Reaction score
Hopefully by now your axie is okay! But if not or someone else views this, he could have constipation (the most obvious answer if he struggles to come down/floats a lot) as suggested however he could just like floating if he comes down on being poked. I worried about my axies once as they developed this stange habbit of floating to the top and chilling there, they still do sometimes. When one kept doing it regularly, I solved the problem by putting an oxygen rock in the tank so maybe its a sliight lack of oxygen? Just a few thoughts! Hopefully he’s better already!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1