Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Where to store food and how often to feed them?

vinsmoke

Reaction score
Hello! I'm a new axolotl owner and I've got pre-packaged bloodworms and shrimp for it. Just want to double check and make sure if it's okay to keep these things refrigerated. Also, how often should I be feeding it if it were an adult?

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Are they the frozen cube kind or live? If cubes then the freezer is the best place.
How big is the axie? If it is adult I would recommend you try and get some earthworms. They're a better diet in the long run and you don't have to search for uneaten food. If it's a juvenile then bloodworms are good.
I've always fed mine every day but some people feed every 2-3 days. You'll have to do some trial and error to figure out how often your axolotl wants to eat.

vinsmoke

Reaction score
Are they the frozen cube kind or live? If cubes then the freezer is the best place.
How big is the axie? If it is adult I would recommend you try and get some earthworms. They're a better diet in the long run and you don't have to search for uneaten food. If it's a juvenile then bloodworms are good.
I've always fed mine every day but some people feed every 2-3 days. You'll have to do some trial and error to figure out how often your axolotl wants to eat.

They're just normal worms but store bought. However, I'll definitely try to find some earthworms. Thank you very much!

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Where they go depends on the worm and your climate. I keep nightcrawlers at room temp but people do fridge them. See if you can find a care guide for the species of worm

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!