Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Baby axies leg is dangling?!

faithywp

Reaction score
Just got a couple axies about three days ago. After feeding and changing water forgot to put plants in the container to give then hiding places. And woke up to find the smallest one's leg dangling by just a tiny piece of leg still attached.. :(

What are the best things I can do to help him grow it back healthy and should I just see if it falls off all the way by its self? I separated him from the rest already.

Any suggestions and advise would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
If the legs been that badly damaged I would have thought the axie would loose it on its own. Regarding it's regrowth just keep the axie in nice clean water and keep an eye out for any fungus, its very easy to identify (white cotton wool-like substance). As long as axie seems well and is eating plenty he/she should be fine :eek: I'm just curious as to how it happened; Are all the axies the same/very similar in size?

faithywp

Reaction score
All hatched around same day there is one that's a little big bigger then the others. (Also separated his as well). I believe one of them bit his leg. It happened sometime last night, his front leg is red and almost fully detatched like I mentioned its just dangling on my a tiny piece of skin I believe.. I feel so bad but he looks like hes going great minus the injury.

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
Aww bless him, don't worry though! Juvenile axolotls are notorious for nipping. Their eyesight is quite poor and when they're very young they trace food primarily with their eyes. Anything moving is a target and accidents do happen! Don't blame yourself though as it's nothing unusual. Just keep him in the tub for now and like I said keep his water nice and clean (water changes daily with dechlorinated water) and he should be just fine. Also, once his arm regrows, don't be alarmed by "odd" looking/webbed toes as they're very rarely (if ever) something to worry about.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!