Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

blackworms

merk199

Reaction score
Just curious to what everyones avg lifespan of a blackworm culture is. I change the water every 2-3 days, with aquarium water cooled. And once a week if I remember I throw in a few fish flakes, or yeast. They seem to be multiplying since I keep finding new small worms but I may be wrong. My original 8 oz package seems to me still is 8 oz...And I feed some to my fish 3-4 times a week and to my newts 2-3 times a week.

Kurt

Reaction score
You know I never thought about culturing them. I used to buy them at Tropic Isle when I worked there. I haven't purchased any in years. I don't think I have any thing that will eat them other than a turtle and some fish and they are being fed other, much easier to manage, stuff.

I wonder if fire-bellied toad would eat them. What are you feeding them to?

merk199

Reaction score
Kurt right now I am feeding them to white cloud minnows, and cynops ensicauda. Both take them well. Make yourself a strainer/enclosure or buy one and I will give you some to try.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
The trick to blackworms is cold, oxygenated, flowing water and a gravel substrate. They reproduce a bit on the slow side. Frankly, I found the time, effort and equipment required to culture them in usable amounts at home is cost prohibitive over purchasing them. They will breed freely in the substrate, but harvesting them is a pain and yields are very low on a small scale.

Purchased worms can be kept for weeks, even months in the fridge. When you first get the culture, rinse them really well with cold bottled spring water, removing any dead or decaying worms. Occasionally you will find various leeches, planarians or bloodworms in the culture. You can remove these if you like, but it is not necessary.

Next, you will need two disposable Tupperware type containers (I use the Ziploc brand myself) and one lid. Take one of the containers and punch a bunch of small holes throughout the bottom and first bottom inch of the sides. Place this "holy" container inside the other one. Add your worms and one bottle of cold spring water. Snap the lid in place and keep this container in the back of the fridge, or the vegetable drawer. Try to keep enough water in the container to keep the worms covered.

At least once a week, preferably two times, do a complete water change with cold bottled spring water, removing any dead worms. If you like, once a week "feed" them with about 1/8th of a teaspoon of goldfish flakes, ground to a very fine powder.

This is the "hard" way of doing it.

The easy way is to buy the blackworm keeper from the California Blackworms link here in the forums. It really is worth the money.

Last edited:

merk199

Reaction score
I highly recommend California Blackworms. Good quality worms at a great price. I would also recommend buying their worm keeper as well. I think I have had mine for around two months. I change the water every 2-3days or when it smells funky.

roobot5000

Reaction score
I highly recommend California Blackworms. Good quality worms at a great price. I would also recommend buying their worm keeper as well. I think I have had mine for around two months. I change the water every 2-3days or when it smells funky.

Do you have any idea where you can purchase the worm keeper online?
I haven't had any luck tracking one day at the local pet shops here.
Didn't know if you had a site you preferred for worms/supplies.
Thanks,
Lee

Last edited by a moderator:

Alejandro

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
California Blackworms have the worm keeper for sale also. I find this item is a very convenient one to keep them long term.

Kurt

Reaction score
Kurt right now I am feeding them to white cloud minnows, and cynops ensicauda. Both take them well. Make yourself a strainer/enclosure or buy one and I will give you some to try.

I will pass for now. I don't really have a need for them. All my critters that require live food feed outside of water. The two fish and turtle I have eat anything I throw their way, so the worms aren't really needed. But thanks any way.

tbarrera

Reaction score
Is there anywhere I can get just a small amount of black worms online? I can not find them locally and just have one small red eft so there is no need for a giant amount which is all I can seem to find so far. Also I don't even know if the little guy likes them yet.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You could try Carolina Biological supply. But most of the online places sell large amounts. To just try them, your best bet is to find a pet shop that sells them. If you live in a remote area, it's something to get the next time you're in the Big City, wherever that might be. It's worth looking in the yellow pages and google for small pet stores with aquatics, and call and ask them if they have them.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Taylor, if you live anywhere near Lansing, Preuss Pets sells live blackworms.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1