Axolotl has little white spots...is my little one sick? What do I do?

axolotlowner83

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi! So I'm a new axolotl owner and I've had my little friend for a few months now. A couple of weeks ago I though I noticed some white spots on my axie, though it just looked like it's ribs showing through. Last night however, I noticed that there are little white spots all over its face and neck! I can't tell what they are and I'm terrified that my Axie might have ick! I took in some water to get it tested and it's completely free of nitrites, ammonia, etc. pH levels are good too. I'm hoping that this is just a fungal infection but I'm just not sure. Can someone take a look for me and tell me what they think? Also how do I treat the problem? The only thing that I think could have caused a fungal infection would be a power outage I had last week which caused the tank to become around 4 degrees warmer than normal.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    379.1 KB · Views: 530
The photo is a little blurry, but if it looks more like white freckles and it's not puffing up like a cotton ball, there's no need for a salt bath. They get these white skin lesions easily, whenever the temperature gets too high or water quality gets bad. Give him cool, clean water and he will be ok.

I changed his water yesterday and it looks like the spots have gotten better and the majority of them are completely gone, so I think you may be right! :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back