Hello from Tennessee

hpfan

Reaction score
Country
United States
I do not have a newt currently, but plan to in a few months when it is a better condition for them to be shipped. We used to have more traditional seasons, but now in the Southeast, it is in the 80s and 90s (plus humidity!) for almost half the year.

I had never really thought about have a newt until I saw someone trying to sell their 5 year old fire belly newt. I thought the habitat from the photos was not that great. I asked the species so I could do research. I discovered that I was right about the habitat. Not life-threatening, but should be improved. I contacted her 3 times about adopting it with no reply. However, all the research I did has ignited an interest in me about newts.

I have a few questions that my research has not answered. What is the best age a fire belly newt should adopted at for a first-time owner? I have read in many places that you should not have more than 4 newts in a 20 gallon tank, but I have only read a couple that say you should have more than one newt. I know you can more than one in a tank, but should you? Are newts healthier and happier solo in their tank or with others? I know it is advised to not house your newts with other animals, but I have read some people have successful cohabitation with snails. I would like to have a snail or two in my tank for the the algae.

This is all the questions I can think of right now, but I am sure I will be back with more.

Also, if you if you live in Tennessee or a surrounding state and are/will be selling fire belly newts, please contact me. I think it would be a little less stressful for the newt(s) to be picked up by me than shipped overnight.

How many newts per tank depends on the size of the newt. Also you can have more if it's well planted.
THe best age- well, they're hard enough to get, so I wouldn't be concerned about that. As long as they no longer have gills you can ship them fine. Snails are fine too. I think you could keep up to ten fire bellies in a well planted 20 gallon.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back