Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

chinese fire bellied newts+ shrimp?

superfin

Reaction score
Hello everybody:yin-yang: I was was browsing through a fish website and I found some very helpful shrimp called Amano shrimp and I was wondering if I could stick 2 or 3 of them in my tank to help me with all the algae in my tank.Would this work or would they end up killing each other?

thanks

chris:wacko:

Tappers

Reaction score
Amanos are quite big Chris (for a shrimp!) I would perhaps avoid them in case of choking risks. How about cherry shrimp instead - they're much smaller and they breed fast too!

superfin

Reaction score
Hmm cherry shrimp do look really nice and they do breed but are they good at cleaning?

elchicano

Reaction score
Isn't ghost shrimp a good choice to use in a set up. I have them in my fish tank and they seem to get along with my fish. I believe they clean the tank as well.

SnakeDancer

Reaction score
I would think newts would consider cherry shrimp a welcome snack! In fact, part of my goal in acquiring cherry shrimp was that I'd have an additional food source for my amphibians, once they finally start breeding (should be any day now).

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Depending on availability, I have had excellent results with both cherry shrimp (Neocaridina heteropoda (var. Red) and the Ghost Shrimp (Palaemonetes paludosus) AKA American Glass Shrimp, American Freshwater Shrimp with Axolotls and Cynops sp. as food for various caudates.

A few observations from my experience with them:

Amano Shrimp tend to be too big and too expensive.

In the case of Axolotls, I have witnessed Cherry Shrimp feeding on the gills. This made me a bit nervous, so the uneaten shrimp were quickly removed from the tank. Also Cherry shrimp are a bit pricey in my opinion for placement in a tank where they are more likely to become food.

With Ghost shrimp, axolotls loved them, and ate them quickly. Cynops sp. SLAUGHTERED the ghosties nearly as fast as I could drop them in the tank. I find the price and availability much more condusive to caudate tanks. The various sizes of these shrimp also make them suitable for the wide variation of mouth sizes in my collection. The Cynops all prefer the smaller shrimp.

As for using shrimp as "tank cleaners"... Nothing beats good tank maintenance practices. Yes, shrimp will eat detritus. Yes they will snack on various algae and other undesirebles like leftover food. Where the issue is, is that the shrimp will still output waste. Well, that and the more often become food long before they show any "cleaning" benefit.

Shrimp make a great snack for Cynops sp., but NOTHING beats regular water changes, properly maintained filtration and regular substrate siphonings.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!