Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Climbing Viv

Astarin

Reaction score
Hello!, I recently made a Vivarium, specifically designed for frogs, with a high back wall and plant pots built into it.... However, it's housing fire salamanders now, I didn't think this would be a problem at all until this morning, I found the salamanders had climbed right to the top back of the tank. Its at least 50cm tall and steep at the back.

I thought the salamanders were rather clumsy climbers and couldn't believe to see them up there this morning, they seemed happy roaming around the bottom at night.

I'm quite afraid they might fall now, and was wondering if I should keep them in a different enclosure, I do have a few other tanks around to create a more simple habitat for them. ShouldI though? or are they better climbers than I am thinking.

Thanks
Astarin

Astarin

Reaction score
Ok there was a big hole in the back of the tank but it was sealed up a long time ago when I first set up the tank, so they wont be able to get out

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I would make a new enclosure just for them.
Tanks suited for dendrobatids are based on a kind of landscape that is nothing like the world of a Salamandra (won´t all the plants die at the temps that Salamandra need?). Plus, housing them where dendrobates formerly lived sounds awfully risky to me...
They are sturdy animals, and i don´t think the fall is a high risk, but i´d still move them to a tank made for them.

Astarin

Reaction score
Yeah it was a long time ago when the frogs were there and I had the tank running without frogs for a good few months, (was planning on more frogs) but there wasnt any of the ones I wanted at local shops and was waiting. I've moved the salamanders to a temporary home right now.

My brother just bought a massive exo terra tank so I will probably convert that for the salamanders

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1