Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What is this smell???

F

felipe

I have some canadian worms (here in Brazil we call them like this) and when I cut them they, I can feel a really nasty smell! something like musk or something... not a organic smell if you understand me! What is this! is it safe for my newts??

J

jennifer

Based on your description, I think you have redworms, not the same as what we call "canadian nightcrawlers". (Nightcrawler = very large earthworm). Are the worms red color, with rings? If so, they are not harmful, but some newts will refuse to eat them (probably because of this smell).

Here are some photos of redworms (Eisenia foetida). See the rings? Is this what you have? The do smell bad when cut!
http://vermitechnology.com/images/redworms.jpg
http://www.cndoris.com/IMAGES/worm/redworm.jpg

J

joseph

I've also noticed a few other kinds of worms produce a musky smell...which could be what you have too. Redworms are said to smell acrid but since I'm not sure how you define smells I couldn't describe it much better. I found my newts will take redworms.

I

ian

Now, I dont know how to define my worm. I dont smell any thing. maybe just b/c of me. Anyway, they call it trout worms. What are they? They all look the same to me.

J

joan

Trout worms are usually Eisenia foetida, at least at my local bait shop they're called so. You may have some worms that smell worse than others. Most of my animals will also eat redworms.

F

felipe

The discription of the smell and other things you all had sayed tell me that what I have here are redworms, but the pictures are pretty diferent!I take some photos this morning.... this are the worms!
47786.jpg

J

joan

Like any other organisms, these can vary significantly in color. My bet is that they're redworms. If your animals will eat them, then they're fine to feed.

I

ian

Eisenia foetida - From google is also called as Red Worm. Is that true?

J

joan

Red worms, tiger worms, compost worms, red wigglers, leafworms, you name it, they're all the same worm. That's the problem with using common names.

F

felipe

Yes, but I only want to know if its safe to feed my newts with this worms! This smell is not some kind of toxic fluid or something like this??? Some of my newts refuse to eat them sometimes, other newts eat them very well....

J

joan

These worms are perfectly safe. But the fluid also tastes bad, so some newts refuse them.

J

jennifer

I agree. They are safe for the newts. Many newts will eat them whole, but not cut.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1