Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Well, it was inevitable........

coleonyx

Reaction score
After managing to get lucky and find a nice female A. Opacum earlier in the year when they were extremely hard to come by some more became available a couple of hours away so I'm picking up another two this weekend. Have a terrarium set to hopefully breed these so my female will be going in that, am I tight in thinking these two youngsters are both males?
A-Opacum-pair.jpg

Was hoping for a M/F/F group with the females living in a separate larger enclosure but these are the only two available. I already have a spare terrarium set up for a lone male as I've read males can become nippy and stressed when housed together.

coleonyx

Reaction score
Thanks! I followed a post on here to set the terrarium up for the female(s). I came across a very cheap long terrarium a while ago for a silly price (fully set up with a Komodo double dome and Exo furnishings) so I snapped it up with half a mind on more Salamanders!

Here's the pic the shop sent me, is there a trick to embedding pics on this site as they never seem to work for me?
https://i.ibb.co/km1Wnd7/A-Opacum-pair.jpg
Both look like males to me but I'm no expert, the rear one looks a little duller and plumper with a stubbier tail but that might be perspective and lighting, they're both very young at the moment. My female is definitely a much duller grey colour.

Cute little things though!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!