Water Perameters

memojo1979

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Mojo
My test kit has just arrived today, so I've done a quick test (weekly water change not been done yet, so I know the results are going to be a little high)

Obviously, the lower the results, the better, but can someone give me the guideline levels for ammonia, nitrite + nitrate please (as in between such + such)?

Cheers :happy:

These are the absolute maximum 'safe' levels for scaled fish so doing a water change before they get this high is usually a good idea for animals without scales but here we go.
Ammonia should be between 0 and 0.5ppm
Nitrite should be between 0 and 0.25ppm
Nitrate should be between 0 and 40ppm

For my axies I go by these numbers but that's personal decision based on my observations.
Ammonia should be between 0 and 0.25ppm
Nitrite should be between 0 and 0.15ppm
Nitrate should be between 0 and 40ppm
The agreed safe maximum for ammonia in a fish tank is 0.5 but I prefer to not let it get above 0.25. I have a few little guys that are particularly sensitive to ammonia and much above 0.25 really stresses them.

In a cycled tank you should get zero ammonia and Nitrite and some Nitrate that you do water changes to keep below 40ppm

All sounds good then, especially since a water change is needed.
My results were 0.25 ammonia, 0 nitrites + 10 or 20 nitrates (the colours on the card look exactly the same, so I was unsure!)

Thank you :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back