Hand-made ceramic glazed hides

TsukikoMythos

Reaction score
Country
United States
As I set about on my quest for the perfect hides, I became more and more frustrated at the lack of aquarium decor options or their hefty price tag. Then the lightbulb struck; I'm an art teacher with access to ceramic clay and food safe glazes, why not make one? My idea behind the design was to have at least two entrances and a winding tree which I'll later attach live Java Moss or Subwassertang to simulate foliage. For those not familiar; ceramic glaze is essentially paint that when heated to very high temperatures forms a waterproof layer of glass. I'll be finding a way to attach the moss sometime this week, then in to the tank it goes!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 510
This was my first hide. It has three entrances and a stone ramp for climbing on the roof. The tree, again, is meant for anchoring moss. One side features five small pots for plants (since axies love rooting up plants!) and a small enclosure near one of the entrances for holding black worms.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    386 KB · Views: 368
Those look really well done! Do you think they're heavy enough to stay submerged? Do you think an axie could move it? I'd hate for one to smack it around and break it on accident. I'm sure you've already thought of all that stuff, though. lol

They are STUNNING!!!
You're incredibly talented & clever :D

Love Love Love!!!
Want Want Want!!!

Can't wait to see them with moss attached & in the tanks <3

<3 >o_o< <3

I'm actually taking a ceramics class next semester so I can do this! xD
Good job, they are beautiful

Those look really well done! Do you think they're heavy enough to stay submerged? Do you think an axie could move it? I'd hate for one to smack it around and break it on accident. I'm sure you've already thought of all that stuff, though. lol

The first was built using a slab of clay over a salad bowl. when flipped over, the width between the bottom walls is just under 12 inches. I also spread the clay out in areas along tge bottom to simulate uneven moss but to also create more surface area for the base. Even with those precautions, the thing must weigh around 10 lbs (which I guess if they really wanted to, they could move it a little?)

The second piece is so low and flat, It's virtually impossible to flip over.

Next week is summer break, but I'll be experimenting with different styles next semester!

I know this thread is old, but I am in ceramics class now. I'm making a hide with a base over a tupperware container! I'm so excited to get it done. I hope it doesn't explode in the kiln! LOL

:happy: I just saw that these were older post, but I had to tell you that these are the most awesome decos I have seen........

I wish I could do something like this, but I have no talent I can see it in my head but can do it, I have lupus and my hands dont work too well anymore.:(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back