Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Strange Bumps On Tiger Salamander!!! Burns? And a Pimple?

TheJadeAxolotl

Reaction score
I am so worried about my baby boy. :cry:

I attached a picture of his setup. I was cleaning his cage and it doesn't have water in bowl in the pictures. He usually sits on top of my Axolotl's tank and they have NO lights at all. He get dechlorinated water only in his bowl and spray.

And after those are the images of the "mystery bumps". This is my first Salamander, he was a "mud puppy", when I got him.

Last one, is of a "pimple" looking bump. Not sure what it is. Just noticed it on him just now. If you don't see it. It is on his leg, in the photo.

He is eating like a champ.

Attachments

• Lexi and Reptiles 017.jpg
    Lexi and Reptiles 017.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 1,257
  • Lexi and Reptiles 018.jpg
    Lexi and Reptiles 018.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 768
  • Reaver bumps 004.jpg
    Reaver bumps 004.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 1,408
  • Reaver bumps 005.jpg
    Reaver bumps 005.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 852
  • Reaver bumps 006.jpg
    Reaver bumps 006.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 881
  • Reaver bump-2 011.jpg
    Reaver bump-2 011.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 1,834

JoshBA

Reaction score
I'm really not sure what that is, but it could be a fungal infection. How moist is the setup? If its too moist (although it doesn't seem that way) that could be a contributing factor

TheJadeAxolotl

Reaction score
I'm really not sure what that is, but it could be a fungal infection. How moist is the setup? If its too moist (although it doesn't seem that way) that could be a contributing factor

Usually get misted every day to every other day. He gets in his water bowl occasionally as well.

By the way, forgot to mention! His diet consists of Chopped Earthworms, just like the Axolotls and the occasional cricket as a treat.

sde

Reaction score
The first and second picture look like a fungal infection type thing, but I couldn't be sure. I hope they go away soon! -Seth

imheretowatch

Reaction score
have you tried giving him a salt bath? it looks to me like a fungal infection so that may help! i once had a A. macro with the same funky looking bump but it went away with some salt baths. good luck!

TheJadeAxolotl

Reaction score
Is that his permanent set up?

Yes. Is there something wrong with it? I had him in a 10 gallon with a thick layer of eco earth. I moved him to this, because I couldn't keep in moist and some how a cricket was in his cage and caused a wound. And I worry about eco earth being thick and having a water bowl in it and it crushing him.

TheJadeAxolotl

Reaction score
have you tried giving him a salt bath? it looks to me like a fungal infection so that may help! i once had a A. macro with the same funky looking bump but it went away with some salt baths. good luck!

Sorry for double post. No I have not tried any salt baths.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes. Is there something wrong with it? I had him in a 10 gallon with a thick layer of eco earth. I moved him to this, because I couldn't keep in moist and some how a cricket was in his cage and caused a wound. And I worry about eco earth being thick and having a water bowl in it and it crushing him.

In my opinion yes. Tiger salamanders as you know are a type of mole salamander, and they love to burrow. I wonder if keeping him like you are at present is too damp...maybe this is why he has developed the bumps.

Caudata Culture Articles - Tiger Salamander 101

TheJadeAxolotl

Reaction score
Read the link I posted, it explains how tigers should be kept.

I have read it several times. Since I got him. I just worry about him. Tank doesn't hold enough humidity for him and I almost lost him. Due to less humidity. Guess I could get a taller tub and add the eco earth.

JoshBA

Reaction score
Humidity generally isn't an issue with tiger salamanders. My household humidity is incredibly low and they do just fine, and their natural habitat often has low humidity during the summer. They can get their moisture from the soil (so if humidity is a problem, they can just burrow into it). I would still get a taller tub so you can provide deeper soil (ideally 6 or more inches). If you're worried about the soil sticking to them it really doesn't affect them at all.

TheJadeAxolotl

Reaction score
Humidity generally isn't an issue with tiger salamanders. My household humidity is incredibly low and they do just fine, and their natural habitat often has low humidity during the summer. They can get their moisture from the soil (so if humidity is a problem, they can just burrow into it). I would still get a taller tub so you can provide deeper soil (ideally 6 or more inches). If you're worried about the soil sticking to them it really doesn't affect them at all.

Not Really worried about it sticking to him. Just a water bowl/hide crushing him.

TheJadeAxolotl

Reaction score
Well, Reaver is in a 58 QT tub with about 4 inches of Eco Earth. That is about 2 and half blocks that I already have. I added his plant and water bowl.

TheJadeAxolotl

Reaction score
Now he IS NOT eating or anything. The bumps haven't changed. Could they be due to my house's AC unit freezing up and it not staying cold cold where he is? :(

The Axie tank stays cool.

Last edited:

RPM

Reaction score
What is the temperature you are keeping him at?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!