Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Good morning!!

BabySinclair

Reaction score
New member here! I'm from washington state, and I have a Taricha granulosa. He's sooooooo cute!!!! I believe he's a boy anyways... I could be wrong... :eek: Anyways, thanks for havin me!! And I look forward to picking everyone's brains and blogs. :proud: That way I can ensure Baby Sinclair gets the best care possible! I've only had him three months, and he's already a major member of the family. :D :p Later everyone!!!

sde

Reaction score
Hello fellow Washingtonian and Taricha lover! :D I have kept T. granulosa in the past too, and they are wonderful! Full of character. If you post a picture of you're T. grans from above and below I will be able to tell you if it's a male or female.

Here is a great care sheet for this species: Caudata Culture Species Entry - Taricha granulosa

Also, if there are any ponds, swamps, marshes, lakes, etc. around you and a road that goes near them, you can go out on a bike or walking looking for the juveniles. They have just started migrating from the breeding grounds to the forests around them, I found four yesterday and one today, as well as a random adult crossing ( they occasionally cross after rain ). The best time to search in my experience is right after rain. They are really small - 21/2 inches or smaller usually - so they can be hard to spot sometimes.
Here's a photo I took of one yesterday.

Welcome to the forum! -Seth

Attachments

• I#2 173.jpg
    I#2 173.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 138

BabySinclair

Reaction score
Hi Seth! Sorry about my late response! I would actually love to collect a couple more, but I want to wait until I have the 55 gal finished which won't be until around December. I don't want to run the risk of killing any of them if the parameters all of a sudden spike because I house to many. My little baby Sinclair is just so adorable that I'd be crushed if I did something to cause his demise. You know what I mean?

Anyways, I'm going to move over to my other post where I can ask questions. :). As a noob, I don't wanna break any rules. :p
I hope to ask you some more questions. :)

sde

Reaction score
Hi Seth! Sorry about my late response! I would actually love to collect a couple more, but I want to wait until I have the 55 gal finished which won't be until around December.

Oh, I wasn't trying to imply you should collect more, I was just informing you that if you would like to find this species in the wild now is a good time. I was thinking just observing them.

I don't want to run the risk of killing any of them if the parameters all of a sudden spike because I house to many. My little baby Sinclair is just so adorable that I'd be crushed if I did something to cause his demise. You know what I mean?

Don't worry, having four or five adults in a 40 gallon results in no problems as long as you do proper maintenance, so don't worry if you have more than one in a 55 gallon. Yes I know what you mean.

I will see if I can answer you're questions! :happy: -Seth

BabySinclair

Reaction score
You know, it's kinda funny... Even when I was a 5 year old girl, I never had a problem with snakes, bugs, frogs or anything slimed. Lol. I've had frogs, an 8foot red tail boa, and one black shiney 11" salamander. I caught it right in the ditch in my back yard. I had it for 8 years!!! I honestly don't know how he stayed alive that long. He was in a small ten gal. And ate nothing but blood worms. But that was when I could find them fresh. Baby Sinclair has a Friggen Castle in comparison! Anyways, I was goin somewhere with this. Lol Oh! In all my years of living in Whatcom county, all the hiking I've done. I have Never, Ever seen one of these guys before. I actually found Sinclair in Veneta Oregon. When I found her, I felt like an old cartoon character saying "I'm gonna love him and hug him and make him my friend....." I think I just dated myself. Lol. Anyways, you know what I mean. Lol. He was to cute to let get eaten by the lawn mower along with 19 pacific tree frogs I saved from the mouth of the mower as well.

sde

Reaction score
You know, it's kinda funny... Even when I was a 5 year old girl, I never had a problem with snakes, bugs, frogs or anything slimed. Lol. I've had frogs, an 8foot red tail boa, and one black shiney 11" salamander. I caught it right in the ditch in my back yard. I had it for 8 years!!! I honestly don't know how he stayed alive that long. He was in a small ten gal. And ate nothing but blood worms. But that was when I could find them fresh. Baby Sinclair has a Friggen Castle in comparison! Anyways, I was goin somewhere with this. Lol Oh! In all my years of living in Whatcom county, all the hiking I've done. I have Never, Ever seen one of these guys before. I actually found Sinclair in Veneta Oregon. When I found her, I felt like an old cartoon character saying "I'm gonna love him and hug him and make him my friend....." I think I just dated myself. Lol. Anyways, you know what I mean. Lol. He was to cute to let get eaten by the lawn mower along with 19 pacific tree frogs I saved from the mouth of the mower as well.

Where did you get the 11 inch salamander? The only species around here that is usually that big isn't black... Did it have marbling?...
Taricha granulosa is only where there are possible breeding sites. And they are usually only active after/during rainy periods. Except sometimes when they are migrating to the breeding grounds.

BabySinclair

Reaction score
Where did you get the 11 inch salamander? The only species around here that is usually that big isn't black... Did it have marbling?...
Taricha granulosa is only where there are possible breeding sites. And they are usually only active after/during rainy periods. Except sometimes when they are migrating to the breeding grounds.

I found him in a ditch. Bare with me, this was like ten years ago. I remember from nose to tail tip. He was as long as my pointer to a couple inches past my wrist. He was at least ten inches long, no joke, no exaggerating! He reminded me of black jello, he looked wet, even when dry, and his body, his skin, I remembered it was like ribbed.

It looked like this guy
Only long. I found it in a ditch while picking wildflowers, kinda why I named it "Blossom". Lol

sde

Reaction score
Northwestern salamander. They aren't usually over eight inches, so yours was a monster!
Those ribbed things are its costal grooves.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1