Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Taricha Granulosa help!

joemomma1016

Reaction score
Hello folks,

I love taricha granulosa newts. Always had been fascinated with them but couldn't afford to house them. So I bought some cynops orientalis. Those were great newts too. But I left for the military and my parents couldn't care for them properly as I was away. Now I'm out, and I'd love to get some taricha granulosas but I can't find them anywhere! I don't wanna go online (too sketchy) or get them from the wild. Any help to where I can find some of these awesome creatures is appreciated. Thanks!

-Joe :cool:

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score

sde

Reaction score
Unfortunately it seems they are getting less common in captivity in the US. I am looking for some too. Buying them online ( outside of private breeders like the ones on this site ) is sketchy, and the newts will be wild caught. Catching them from the wild is easy, but not always legal and also not always the best thing ethically.
Julia's suggestion is best, there should be a few juveniles for sale later this year. If you want any extra info on how to raise the juveniles, feel free to ask. -Seth

joemomma1016

Reaction score
Thanks Seth. It's unfortunate. Every enthusiast loves them it seems, but they are hard to come by. People tell me they're endangered but I personally haven't seen anything about that. Anywho, if I am lucky to get some Seth, I might be bugging ya for some knowledge.

-Joe

sde

Reaction score
Haha! No they aren't endangered. They are extremely common in the wild. The IUCN Redlist says they are Least Concern.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1