Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Message to Anyone NOT in the Chat

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hello all,

I in my infinite leisure (not to say "boredom") have been spending lots of time in the chat recently. I have found it to be a wonderful opportunity for a realtime exchange of ideas and hope very much for its continuation. To anyone not yet spending time in the chatroom(s), I wish to say the following:

Are you afraid that the chat is too scientific, too species-specific, too.. boring?
It's not. We talk about everything from soccer to world dominion to a certain lady's red hair. The chat is not bound by the same strict rules of the forum, and also provides the opportunity to get to know the personalities of the people on the forum better.

Are you afraid that the chat is too frivolous, too unscientific, too... boring?
It's not. New people keep coming to the chat with questions about specific animals or more general species-specific subjects. The chat's official description promises opportunity to chat with people who (may) have answers to your burning questions. It would be nice to have your input if you have some answers.

Hope to see you soon,

-Eva

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The chat seems to be "reviving" these days, now that the log of who's there appears at the top of the forum pages. I'd also encourage people to try it out.

madeve

Reaction score
I must admit I too am thrown off by the scientific names since I mostly know newts and salamanders by their common name. Nonetheless I really enjoy the chat room and if I need to I use wikipedia to look for the names and I get to learn a lot about caudates.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I enjoy meeting the members of the forum and the chat is currently the best way to do that. I generally only enter the chat if there are a few people there already, so the more the merrier.

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I must admit I too am thrown off by the scientific names since I mostly know newts and salamanders by their common name. Nonetheless I really enjoy the chat room and if I need to I use wikipedia to look for the names and I get to learn a lot about caudates.

Madeve - you can also find scientific names for caudates right here at caudata.org in Caudata Culture:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/species.shtml
There is a wealth of information about caudates found there.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I´ve only tried the chat a couple times, but it´s interesting so i´ll do it again ;)

About the scientific names, i know they can be complicted, hard to remember, and stuff, but i would encourage everyone to learn the scientific name instead of the common name. Common names usually lead to misidentification....with scientific names everyone knows without a doubt what you are talking about. Plus it´s not really that hard...i recently had to memorize 300 plant´s scientific names....xDDDD try that one.....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1