Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

The "COOLEST" Tropical Fish

freves

Reaction score
Lucanus, O. (2008). The “COOLEST” Tropical Fish. Aquarium Fish International 21(1), 26-34.

This is an interesting article on “tropical” fish which actually prefer cooler temperatures. The author does a nice job of explaining that even fish which originate from countries often considered tropical may actually prefer cooler temperatures, depending on the climactic region of the native habitat.
Early in the article a list of common cichlids, tetras, and catfish is given with no other specific care or habitat information. Fish less commonly seen in the aquarium hobby are then listed with some care and habitat information listed for each species.
I decided to post this review due to the constant number of questions often asked about mixing newts and fish. Many of the fish mentioned are still very unsuitable tank mates for newts for a variety of other reasons, however for those who insist on mixing species this article provides a good starting point for further research.
Chip

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1