DC Press: Jewish mythology- The Salamander

wes_von_papineäu

Our Roving Correspondent
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Wes von Papineäu
CHRISTIAN POST (Washington, DC) 14 December 09 Jewish mythology- The Salamander (Eli Dahan, Biblical teacher at ClassicalHebrew.com)
There are many stories about mysterious monsters and creatures in Hebrew Scriptures. One of the most fascinating creatures is the Salamander.
According to the Rabbi Abuhu in the name of Raabi Eliezer , the Salamander emerges from fire and If one smears his hand or any other part of his body with its blood, the spot is proof against fire as mentioned in the Talmud Hagiga 27a:.
" תלמידי חכמים אין אור של גיהנם שולטת בהן, קל וחומר מסלמנדרא; ומה סלמנדרא שתולדת אש היא - הסך מדמה אין אור שולטת בו, תלמידי חכמים, שכל גופן אש, דכתיב 'הלוא כה דברי כאש נאם ה' - על אחת כמה וכמה"
" As to the scholars, the flame of Gehenna has no power over them. For this is shown by an a fortiori argument drawn from the salamander. As only the creature of fire, and still he that anoints himself with its blood, flame has no power over him, how much more then that the flames have no power over the scholars, whose whole body is fire, as it is written".
The Salamander cannot survive at all outside of fire. The Salamander in the Talmud is most often depicted like a typical salamander in shape, with a lizard-like form.
Rashi (in Sandrine 63a) describes the salamander as one which is produced by burning a fire in the same place for seven days, seven years or seventy years.
Main phrases of the post + transcription + translation
Hebrew Transcription Translation
סָלָמַנְדְּרָה sālāmanderāh Salamander
לְטָאָה Letā'āh Lizard
גֵּיהִנֹּם gêhenōm Hell
מָרַח mārah Smeared
מִפְלֶצֶת mipletset Monster
Jewish mythology- The Salamander | Learning Biblical Hebrew

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back