Female marbled newt with crest?.

mindfrog

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
jason
Hi everyone.Hi have a question,is it normal for female marbled. newts to develop a high crest.I have two females that are two years old and mostly aquatic but I noticed a few days ago its crest had developed.she shed her skin two days later and the crest appears larger.Is this normal.cheers Jason.

I have T.marm females which develop a very slight crest, maybe 1 -1.5 mm high. I've never seen anything higher than this, although I once witnessed a female attempting to tail fan another female :dizzy:

If there is a real crest, with the banded design an all, then it is a male. Check the cloaca too.

Just a thought....

Some animals when confronted with an all female soceity will exhibit male features and behaviors to promote their dominance in the group.

I know this is rare or is in animals that are so evolutionarily distant from amphibians(like Hyenas and their fake *****) but it's just a thought.

OR...you may have a male...in which case...hopefully they will breed soon right?

oops sorry. I didn't know the anatomical word for a male sex organ was illegal on this site. I will censor my thoughts better next time. I apologize moderators!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back