Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ichthyosaura alpestris apuanus juveniles

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I have just (in the last couple of weeks) received 3 juvenile I. a. apuanus from Alan Cann. The animals are very nice and doing well. I have one question - the tank is mainly aquatic, with lots of plants and a cork-bark island. The two larger juveniles spend most of the time in the water, but the smallest one, which initially was as aquatic as the others, is now spending a lot of time on the island or stuck to the glass. I haven't seen it eat, but it is occasionally in the water and it was eating well before, so it may still be doing so. The newt's skin is slightly less aquatic-looking than before due to it being out of the water so much, but when it does go under water it is still largely hydrophilic.
How long should I leave it before I move it to a more terrestrial setup, or will it definitely go back into the water eventually?

C

Jay Redbond

Reaction score
Hi,
I keep seven of the subspeceis of Ichthyosaura including apuana at my work Slimbridge WWT. I have also had problems with some leaving the water before others. What I usally do is remove the individual and put him in a terrestrial tank faunariums are good. If you dont I have seen animals quickly lose condition and stop eating. Although most Alpine newts can be kept in water down to 2 degrees centigrade which is good as it is easyer to monitor them in the water and it conditions them for breeding. But if individuals are determined to have a terrestrial stage then I would let him. Other people may have different opinions but that works for me.

Hope that helps
Jay

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I think I will give it a bit more time and see if I notice it eating at all. If it doesn't 'improve' soon I will think about moving it. One thing that I don't understand is why it has suddenly decided to do this...after arrival it was 100% aquatic with the others, but then suddenly changed....

C

End

Reaction score
in my experience ( quite limited) every alpestris apuanus that morphed under 3,5 - 3 cm prefer to stay on land until he reach 4 to 5 cm. Personally i don't move the terrestrial morph to a different vivarium , i leave them with the others , providing a good land . Never had drowning with this species

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The newt is at that sort of size (3.5ish cm), so i will keep an eye on it. If I need to I will add some moss and food to the cork-bark.

C

ajc

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Just give it some terrestrial hiding places so it doesn't get stressed and leave it where it is. It will be mostly aquatic soon enough.

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks, Alan - I will put a small amount of moss and a hide in tonight.
Thanks again for them - they are lovely animals.

C

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!