My camera & the macro function

Star

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Star
I have no clue when it comes to photography basically! I know to use the macro function on close ups but the pictures always have to be far away :confused: seems a bit pointless! Close ups end up very blurred, as do pics where I have zoomed in. I guess it could be my camera? It's a Hitachi HDC-1209ER. Just a normal digital one as I can't afford a better one but surely it should take decent pictures with macro?

I'm just wondering if anyone can offer me any photography tips or if anyone knows of decent literature that I could have a gander at? :rolleyes: Thanks in advance!

Chances are you're zoomed in. If you've activated the zoom function, your camera will require a greater distance to focus [probably 1m or more]. If you zoom out to the minimum setting, you should be able focus at almost any place under 1m. You'll need good lighting because a built-in or fixed flash will probably create a shadow on your subject. You may also have to get VERY close to fill the image, because you have no zoom in macro mode.

I generally shoot from about 1m with zoom, because I can get a much bigger ["closer"] image, without disturbing the animal as much, and I can use the built-in flash.I have enough resolution to not care about wat little I might lose from zooming in.

I occasionally use macro for anatomical shots, especially if I have to hold the animal in one hand. That requires strong lighting shining between the subject and lens, without shining IN the lens. When I have that lighting, I can actually focus right to the surface of the lens. A bracket-mounted or ring flash can also prevent the lens-shadow caused by a built-in flash.

Hmm it seems to zoom while in macro :confused: I'll go through all the settings and check what is what and hopefully I can get some decent pictures of my larvae soon :D Thanks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back