Meet my boys; The Stupids

BadFishy

Reaction score
Country
United States
AKA Bill and Ted.

They are approaching 1 year in age. I have slowed down their feeding to slow down their growth. I feed them frozen beef heart (now) once a day. This is their home:

30G_Tank.jpg

30 gallon acrylic
Modded light to use spectrum LED lamp
1/5 HP chiller.
Fluval 306 with custom spray bar return, 5" cylindrical sponge filter
Substrate: Carib(TM) black soil with black sand top (has thinned and settled in over time and with the boys digging)
shelter halves of fir bark (soaked for 4 months prior to use), some typical bog wood pieces, lacy java fern, various Anubias, a banana plant, some tiger and red lillies now and then (the boys tear them up), riccia fluitans.

They had a troupe of Harlequin Rasboras as tank mates. Started with 5, had 12, ended up with the same 5. However, recently moved to Texas from Portland Oregon and they did not make the trip. [The boys did owing to the fact that I replenished a container of ice every time I filled up with gas and they kept at a temp of about 54 F for the three day trip]

more officially now...

Please meet Bill & Ted (Bill is the "Blond", of course):
Axolotls&Scale.JPG

Bill: a yearling Leucistic GFP:
Leucistic GFP Male ('BIll').JPG

<and under his night time lights...>
GFP in action.png

Ted: a slightly younger natural wild colored male:
Natural Wild Male ('Ted').JPG

Great looking tank. Bill and Ted are lovely. I have some of the plants that you've mentioned in my fish tanks, and I didn't realise that they would grow so well in the cooler temperatures of axolotl tanks. I might get some more and put them into my axolotl tanks because your planting looks fantastic.
I noticed that you say you feed them beef heart. Earthworms/nightcrawlers are the best staple diet for them, so it would be worth reconsidering their diet. I've included links to some nutritional information, which I hope helps.
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/worms.shtml
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/foods2.shtml
I look forward to hearing more about your boys, and hopefully see lots more pictures.
:happy:

Thanks for the nutrition details. I will see what I can do.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back