Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Not Eating but no signs of Sickness or Distress. HELP!!

TooFastSpindash

Reaction score
Hello!!

So I'm a little worries about my axie. He hasn't been eating a lot lately and I don't know if I should be worried or not. I've tried all the food I have and he is uninterested in all of it. He is an adult measuring about 10 inches long

He doesn't appear sick (no gill fungus), or stressed (gills are relaxed, tail is straight and his movement patterns haven't changed). He has been occasionally gulping up for air and having some slight trouble swimming upwards but he makes it.

I wasn't sure if it was the water quality so I did a 75% water change, added tap water pre treatment (1 ml) and let it cycle. The temperature is 17°C/68°F. Water calcium is 60. Carbonate Hardness is about 10. pH is maybe a 6.5 or 6.6. No2 and No3 are very low. I would say .5 No2 and 0 No3.

I don't know what to do at this point. All help is welcome.

Also if anyone knows what breed he is would be cool to know.

Thanks
Izzy

Attachments

• IMG_20170213_202549901.jpg
    IMG_20170213_202549901.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 381
  • IMG_20170213_202607829.jpg
    IMG_20170213_202607829.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 278
Reaction score
My axolotls prefer a PH range of 7-7.4 and start acting strange when the PH dips into the 6 range. What is the PH of the water you are using for water changes? IMO you need to get the PH to at least 7.

Also low oxygenation can lead them to dash to the surface and gulp air, and low oxygenation can also be a contributing factor for low PH. I would add an air stone.

Gravel is not a good choice for substrate as the axolotl will ingest some and can get an impaction. Your axolotl could have consumed some gravel and that is why he is not eating right now. I would suggest switching to sand as a substrate.

He looks like a wild type to me!

WalkingFish

Reaction score
First I just want to say he is a beautiful wild type male. Really good color. As far as him not eating a whole lot, how long has it been since his last meal? How much are you feeding him at each meal? If he really is 10 inches long then he is full grown and this may change his diet. How old is he? If he grew quickly to this size, then maybe his metabolism has just slow down because he's an adult. Generally speaking as Axolotl get bigger they eat less often. So if you're Axolotl is young and grew very fast then it would make sense why he is slowing down his eating habits, he's just done growing. However if you've had this Axolotl for an extended period of time especially at this size then I would continue to monitor his behavior, slime coat, gills, tail etc. And watch for signs of stress. I hope it turns out to be nothing!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!