Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Dicamptodon Breeding, has it been done?

sde

Reaction score
Lisa8! This is incredible! This species courtship and breeding behavior is little documented! you should video or record it! SERIOUSLY! This is incredible! Not much at all is known about this species' courtship and breeding, and if you were able to get a video of it, it could seriously help herpetologists and biologists out I believe. How do you do it?!?!? Pleas share some info! it would be great. I am going to go puzzle and ponder and get confused and freak out for a while. - my reaction- :confused: :eek::eek::eek: :crazy: -Seth

MarioR

Reaction score
I highly doubt anybody in Europe has ever bred them and Janusz is right too ;)
I also doubt "Lisa8" ever bred them. Let us see proofs - but Lisa8 was online the last time when she posted her last reply to this topic.

sde

Reaction score
Why would anybody lie about that? Annoying. Your probably right. Ok, now I have more motivation to find breeding adults, or a female guarding eggs. I hate it when people do that........:mad:.........

Yahilles

Reaction score
In some post on this forum someone suggested that Dicamptodon might be breeding underground in large aggregations if i remember correctly.

Lisa 8

Reaction score
I appreciate the doubt about breeding these animals because it is not easy. I am a Ph.D. student at Oregon State University and I have been studying life history variables of Dicamptodon salamanders for many years.

Attachments

• copei laying open.jpg
    copei laying open.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 755

sde

Reaction score
If you actually did breed them, why haven't you told anybody? That doesn't make sense. Cause if you did breed them I would think you would know that very little is know about this species' courtship and breeding etc. And it seems like you would be proud to share info, pictures, videos etc. And I don't see why you wouldn't?

So please do, lets see all your pictures and videos and info then. Why not? -Seth

Lisa 8

Reaction score
Really studying anything takes time. I run the risk of giving inaccurate information if I don't do it right. My goal is to help to preserve these critters and others within their ecosystems. I am getting ready to submit for publication and then I will post everything that I can.

milahoh

Reaction score
Really studying anything takes time. I run the risk of giving inaccurate information if I don't do it right. My goal is to help to preserve these critters and others within their ecosystems. I am getting ready to submit for publication and then I will post everything that I can.

I am excited for your publication. I think these are really fascinating animals. Also, I am hoping to get into the Veterinary program there at OSU :) Go Beavs!

curtpw

Reaction score
I have been breeding them for about 4 years. Courtship is much like the Ambystomatids. Egg deposition is fun to watch.

Has anyone heard anything more about this? I recently starting keeping Dicamptodon T. I did a very extensive scientific lit search (there are only so many papers and theses about Dicamptodon, I'm used to sifting through a whole lot more material doing patent prior art research and the like) and I didn't find any mention of anyone ever successfully doing captive breeding.

If captive breeding has been successful, I would be interested to know whether it was terrestrial or neotenic adults.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!