lots of questions please help :)

mudvayne42

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i am brand new to this forum but i have looked over it and you guys have gave so much help to everyone so i wanted some help to lol wel i have had my axolotl for 6 months now but i have never really new much about him/her i brought him/her purley because it looked cool i no it was the wrong thing to do but they are just so attractive! anyway first of all i wanted to know if i can tell the sex of my axolotl it has deffinatley reached maturity so i thought that would help also can he/she come out of water or not, also it is quite big now and it needs a new tank so any recomendations of size of tank or anything to do with that would be great and one more thing my tank is 68 F [20 C] is that ok or is that to high it seems pretty happy but is it blind also is it a noturnal creature becaus ei never see it moving in the day only at night when it wakes me up spalshing and gulping at the top of the water at 3 in the morning lol hope i get some replies soon even if you dont know the answer to every question please coment even to say hi! lol thanks everyone :D

Welcome to the forum.

Check out this link: http://www.axolotl.org/biology.htm

No it cannot come out of water.

Minimum size of tank should be about 2ft long x 1 ft wide - the smaller the tank the quicker the tank warms up and can foul quite quickly. (based on a 30cm long adult - some of ours are slightly longer than this).

20C is not bad. You just have to be careful when your temperatures get into the early -late 20s. Its winter here and our tank temps range from 10C to 14C and ours are fine.

Yes they are nocturnal and are pretty near sighted. check out: www.axolotl.org

Please don't take this in a rude way, but it is extremely helpful to us if you can break up your ideas into properly punctuated sentences and spell check your post. It can be extremely difficult to understand what people type if they do not punctuate especially.

Axolotls are indeed nocturnal creatures, but they are not blind. Some special genetic mutants are but the majority are not.

Axolotls must be in the water their entire lives. They breathe through gills and are not adapted for doing so out of the water.

As for tank size I would imagine a 20 gallon long aquarium (36x12x12 inch or 91x30x30 cm aquarium) would probably be a good starting point. People may have better minimum suggestions than I. Others should also be able to help you sex your axolotl. This article may also help you with sexing your axolotl.

thankyou for all your help. also i will make sure i break up my sentences next time sorry about that. thanks :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back