Water temperature

Guppykeeper

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all! Well I'm at the part now where I need to look at getting an accurate thermometer. I will have plants and livestock. As of yet, I have nothing definitive to go by as far as water temp. What do you guys use? Thanks for your help :)

I use these:

Aquarium Accessories - Water Gardening Direct

Betta Easy Read Aquarium Thermometer
Price:£0.96
This traditional glass Aquarium Thermometer from Betta, is easy to read and has a quick "at -a glance" green acceptable area band.

• Attaches to the inside of the Aquarium glass
• Easy to read scale
• 20-120 deg F (-5 - 50deg C) range
• Fixing sucker included
The suckers tend to come unstuck from the glass, but otherwise they're simple, reliable and cheap.

I would have to say go with a laser pointer infrared thermometer. I used to mess with the digital lcd readouts and the normal one you stick on the side. The lcds aren't reliable at all and the old school ones tend to be sharp metal. I have a Blue Point one, probably around 80 bucks but worth every penny, one trigger pull and it tells exact temp. You can even hold it and get a reading in different areas of a tank or when setting up an axolotl tank you can find the coldest spot in your house, which is ideal for keeping the temp down in the summer.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back