Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Axolotl with twisted limb

axolotl james

Reaction score
Hey everybody,
Since a couple of weeks, i've noticed that one of my axolotls has his front leg twisted all around. I thought it would just twist back at first, but it didn't. Now he has trouble walking and looks very weird if he tries. I have includrd some photos.
Do any of you know what it is and what i can do about it?

Thanks you very much

Attachments

• IMG_3043.jpg
    IMG_3043.jpg
    468.9 KB · Views: 508
  • IMG_3045.jpg
    IMG_3045.jpg
    636.4 KB · Views: 326

NexSocius

Reaction score
When you say ‘one of my axolotls’, are you meaning you have more than one in the same tank? If so, it’s possible that one has had a chomp on the leg. Even if they have been living together for a long time, sometimes it can happen. My two have been together for 4 years, and just recently, Pripyat bit Chernobyl’s leg and hurt his toe. All 3 are now separated with dividers.

This post may or may not help: https://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=90570&highlight=Twisted+limb
I don’t know much about this, but I do know that amputation may not be the answer- just because they can grown their legs back, doesn’t mean we can just cut them off. As the post points out, if they are not in any apparent discomfort, they should be fine.
I can’t see the injury very well in the pics, is the skin broken or the leg just bent? I took Chernobyl out for a week and tubbed him with twice daily changes, just so that no nasty tank germs would get into the wound and give him an infection.

axolotl james

Reaction score
Yes, I have 3 axolotls in my aquarium. The leg isn't broken or anything, it's just twisted around 180 degrees en he doesn't use it anymore. He doesn't seel te be hurt, but he can hardly walk and puts his face against the glass cause he has no support. I don't know what to do. Do i leave it, do i amputate it or do i go to a vet nearby (if they even know what axolotls are).

Attachments

• IMG_3044.jpg
    IMG_3044.jpg
    625.8 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_3045.jpg
    IMG_3045.jpg
    636.4 KB · Views: 394

xxianxx

Reaction score
Looks like a dislocation but I'm not a biologist and am not familiar enough with axolotl physiology to know. Pm a couple of mods, there's a few biology/zoology phds in their ranks who may know.
If it is a dislocation don't try popping it back in yourself without expert advice.

Axolotlee

Reaction score
It looks broken did he run into somthing or jump out the tank?? Fall??? Maybey if the others had a bite of him and just yanked it out as the previous person said. But I don't see any broken skin on his arm but his face does look a little tattered yeah I would take him to a reptile vet

Biev

Reaction score
It looks either broken or dislocated. Definitely take her to a vet! Even if they haven't seen an axolotl before. They can take an xray, and set the bone so that it doesn't heal in a weird position, which is the main concern here. They will also be able to anesthetize her first.

axolotl james

Reaction score
Yes, but for some time, he could just "pop" it back in and he was fine. But lately, he doesn't look able to pop it back in. it's like he dislocated en popped it back in too many times. I will look up an exotic pets vet and call them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1