Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Eyeless Axolotl Care Advice?

ArtEvren

Reaction score
So my girlfriend and I are taking care of a friend's axolotl, Mudkip, for the summer. She's a beautiful wildtype, about a year old, with no eyes. She hasn't eaten for about a week now since the heat wave, and she startles real bad whenever I switch out her ice bottles. She's also got her tail curled all the time, so she's definitely stressed.

Any advice on how to reduce her stress? I know part of it is because she doesn't know what's happening, but still, anything I can do?

I've also got my own baby axie, his name is Ejderha (Edgy for short) and he's at most 3 months old. He's super interactive and perfect.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
No eyes? Can you post a pic! I'm super interested to see!
The stress is probably from the temps if you're struggling to keep it down. If you have a fan pop it over the tank. It evaporates and cools the water better than ice bottles do. I use ice bottles as an emergency measure as the fluctuating temps is stressful.
Keep the lights out in the room she is in if possible (will also help keep the temp down) or pop a light blanket on top to reduce light.
If there is a lid on the tank remove it (unless it is a mesh lid- that is fine), this will help cool it. If you do make sure the water level is a few inches below the top so the axie doesn't accidentally jump out.
Can you post the water parameters in case that is contributing?

ArtEvren

Reaction score
I've been using the ice bottles to keep the temp down. I have a chiller but I'm using it for my other axie's tank right now. I'm trying to get the tanks set up so that the water circulates through both so they can both be cooled. She also hasn't eaten for more than a week now and won't even try to nip at the worms when I offer them to her.

20180707_231604.jpg
20180708_163624.jpg

I don't currently have the parameters but I will check them later today and post them when I have them.

ArtEvren

Reaction score
This is super late but I tested Mudkip's parameters and her ammonia was at 0.25ppm and the nitrates were up at 20 or so. The nitrites are at 0 and the pH is normal.

Kip ate half a worm since my last post and then another day chewed on another half for a bit before spitting it out. I got her to eat two carnivore sinking pellets but other than that she hasn't eaten. My girlfriend and I are considering fridging her, would that be a good plan?

Hayleyy

Reaction score
You don't really need to fridge unless she is floating/bloated/constipated. If you can keep the water under 19 degrees she should recover. Have you been able to rig up both tanks to the chiller?
Check the tank for poop/old food as that will make the ammonia rise. Do some water changes to bring the levels down.

ArtEvren

Reaction score
We think Kip might have a fungus so we don't want to expose baby Edgy to that, so for now only Edgy is on the chiller. Kip ate half a worm yesterday! Honestly she might have missed my girlfriend, because she doesn't eat when I feed her, only when my girlfriend does :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1