Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ghost!

Markw

Reaction score
Hi all, its been a while since ive been around. Been a little busy. I have a 5g tank under my axies' 55g (soon to be 75g) tank and I was wondering how often I would have to change the water if I keep ghost shrimp in there? I know feed a little fish flake every day and they will live, but how often do I change the water and how much do I change each time? I filled it up with tank water from the existing axie tank. I was going to put the shrimp in there to QT them, then put them in the axie tank. My LFS has them for $.09 a piece, so I figured why not. The tank is simple with a screen top and an airstone. I will probably put a small piece of driftwood or the sort in there too. Maybe a small macroalgae if I can find a small light.

Thanks!
Mark

coichards

Reaction score
Do you have a filter in the 5gal.

I would reccomend one of those sponge type one that you attach to an air pump.

Then you would not have to change the water heaps and could get it cycling. ;)

jclee

Reaction score
Shrimp also adore java moss. Actually, they're a little pricey, but if you use the same set-up of any of the Neocaridina species of shrimp, they'll breed pretty easily. That way, you can replace the shrimp the axolotls eat for free. Ghost shrimp are supposed to be pretty easy to breed, but the juvies need to eat very frequently for the first week.

Neocaridina include the red cherry shrimp, but there are also blue, yellow, or white species. The reason they're a little easier to breed is that, when the eggs hatch, they're already mini-adults. There's no developmental stage, and that makes them a little heartier. If you do breed them, get a sponge filter, or else put some nylon over the intake of a hang off the back filter. (Otherwise, the babies get sucked into the filter and die.)

I've actually been wanting to do this (no more room/time/money at the moment), so if you go for it, let us know how it goes.

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Are all those species of shrimps suitable for cold water? I've been thinking of setting up a shrimp tank myself, for food for the axies, to clean the tank floor and they are interesting to watch. I tried to get a batch of scuds (Gammarus pulex) going but had little success, so I'm thinking perhaps pet shop shrimps instead.

Markw

Reaction score
Im not too sure about if theyre good for the cool water, we will find out soon. I dont know how long theyre going to make it anyway in the tank with the axies =]. After a quick search, it says 20-28C is what they prefer, so right in range. I dont have a filter in there as of now, but I will see if I can find one around the house. I wanted to get a RCC setup up and running, but these are much cheaper at the moment. I will probably get some RCCs in a few weeks after the 5g cycles and I can get a light and filter on it.

Mark

Markw

Reaction score
Ok, well I went to the store today and asked for 12. He gave me 24. Guess he didnt want to count them. I didnt mind, though. =]

Mark

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1