Question: I best ask these questions before we get Axies

davearnett

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
dave_arnett
Me and my girlfriend are currently in the process of getting 2 tanks. We also know of someone selling axolotl babies. We know after a certain amount of time we can keep them together and I will be making sure that they are same sex.

What I wanted to know was:

Where can I get food for them online in canada were there shipping isn't going to cost the world ?

Can I use local night-crawlers ? I have heard that they can harbour parasites and other nasties but local ones would ensure a steady food supply for our new pets.

The website i couldnt tell you.
The local Crawlers would be fine. Just look into them and if you think they would i would just kill them in hot water and wash them a little.

Night crawlers will be fine as long as they are from an area where there is no pollution from insecticides etc. I would not personally kill them in hot water, just offer as they are..if too big , cut to size. I keep a wormery , so I have a constant supply for my animals.

Well I will probably have to try that then, the next step would be to keep a night-crawler wormery :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back