Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How much and how often should i feed my axolotl.

chuckieee

Reaction score
I am getting a juvie axoltol soon and i am not sure of the size.

i plan to feed him strictly on bloodowrms and maybe salmon pellets if i can find them anywhere.

are there any good tips or rules i should follow when feeding my axolotl?
i hear that feeding a cube of bloodworms every other day is sufficent.
do they use the same feeding rule as fish that is "feed as much as they can consume in 3 minutes",

should i feed them everyday or every other?

what do you guys do?.. i need suggestions please help.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Juvenile axolotls should be fed everyday to every other day. Since each axolotl has a different appetite it is best to observe how much it eats each day over a few days time to get a better picture of exactly how much to feed it. Bloodworms and pellets are notorious for fouling the water quickly, therefore you should remove any uneaten food after about 20 minutes.

chuckieee

Reaction score
Juvenile axolotls should be fed everyday to every other day. Since each axolotl has a different appetite it is best to observe how much it eats each day over a few days time to get a better picture of exactly how much to feed it. Bloodworms and pellets are notorious for fouling the water quickly, therefore you should remove any uneaten food after about 20 minutes.

ooohh thanks so much man.
so theyre not like fish that will overeat until they die?.
so just to be clear, i just have to put enough food in until he axie stops eating to find out exactly how much to feed him?.

thanks for all your help.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
so theyre not like fish that will overeat until they die?.

I wouldn't put it past them but I have never had one do it. In general, they should be full after about 10 minutes.

so just to be clear, i just have to put enough food in until he axie stops eating to find out exactly how much to feed him?.

Yes, after observing their feeding habits over a few days you'll be able to get an average of what they'll normally eat.

Erzs

Reaction score
Hey!

Following the others advice on keeping track try actually noting it down. For awhile I tried memorizing it but having a pen and pad handy can be helpful with getting to know your axolotls preferred food. It's also easier to notice a pattern if it's appetite starts to head downhill! Your axolotl may also prefer a certain time to eat. All things worth noting down if you can. =]

Good luck with your new little one!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1