Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Floating Axie

BethanyKate

Reaction score
For some reason my axolotl has been constantly floating at the the top of his tank for nearly a week. Is there something wrong with him? he's eating fine

sek

Reaction score
What are the parimeters of your tank? (ammonia, nitrates etc) Has he been gulping air? Also, what is the temp of your tank?

BethanyKate

Reaction score
I dont have anything to text my water with unfortunately, he does tend to gulp air alot. He has floated before then swan down and blews some bubbles and he was able to sit on the bottom, he isnt doing that now however. The water temperature is around 15degreesC. im not sure whats wrong with him. Today he seemed to loose his balance and hes floating but rocking from side to side, like he cant controll himself.

lea

Reaction score
It sounds like a water issue. Can you have your water checked at your local pet shop? I would do a 20% water change. You will need to get the testing stuff but make sure you dont get the dip stick ones get the test tube ones, they are a bit more expansive but they are more accurate.
Do you have him on gravel?

sek

Reaction score
Leanne is right, it sounds like you've got water problems. Please go and buy the test tube water testing kit.

BethanyKate

Reaction score
He is no longer floating after blowing some bubbles, i assume he had some air caught in his stomach and i did a water change today. He probably needs new pads in his filter. My axie is looking sick though, its a golden albino and he is almost a grey pale colour and his gills are a really really dark red. Im worried about him

melfly

Reaction score
As sek and lea have said you need to get a water tester.
Until then I'd do a 20% water change daily for the next few days and see how he goes.

If you clean the filter pads do it in some tank water or dechlorinated water or you could make the problem worse.

Mel

BethanyKate

Reaction score
Alright ill try doing a water change everyday, i cant actually buy a testing kit cause i dont have any money for it.

melfly

Reaction score
Are you able to take a water sample into a local pet shop or aquarium for it to be tested regularly?
Have a look for the seperate tests. Buy ammonia test first if you can afford it.

Mel

Hays

Reaction score
I had this problem a while ago. It had been fed too much. After a few days of not feeding he/she should be ok. I agree a water change would probably do them some good. :)

BethanyKate

Reaction score
Im almost positive he is on the verge of death, he is floating again had his colour is really faded and he is thrashing around in the water and gulping in alot of air all the time. Im really worried he will die.

BethanyKate

Reaction score
Im going to leave him there tonight and if he is still alive tomorrow i would probably fridge him. Im changing his water everyday now to see if that helps.

Crysta

Reaction score
Go into a local aquarium, with your tank water - in a little tub or box or anything - and have them test it, most aquariums do.

Friding can't hurt, and if you really are that worried about him, I suggest doing it, fresh de-chlorinated water.

Hays

Reaction score
You can put him in bottled water and see if that helps before you put him in the fridge. Or maybe put a frozen bottle of water in his tank to cool the temperature down.

melfly

Reaction score
You can put him in bottled water and see if that helps before you put him in the fridge. Or maybe put a frozen bottle of water in his tank to cool the temperature down.

To be honest I think he needs to be out of the tank. In fresh water in the fridge. This will give him the best chance of recovery in case its something in the tank causing the problems.
The fridge will de-stress him and help him heal if he has any problems and will also get him out of the possibly bad water.

Mel

meerkat

Reaction score
I had two axies start floating after changing the brand of their pellets. Their food was impacted and every time they took in air it just caused the problem to get worse. I used the following article to help me fridge them. I keep them in the fridge for 3 days, then put them in the tank with lower levels of water and feed them earthworms to tempt them back into feeding. Both my axies recovered beautifully and now we have baby axies. I wish you all the best of luck, it is very distressing time.
Axolotl Sanctuary

BethanyKate

Reaction score
The pet store is testing my water for me hopefully tomorrow. He has got his colour back but his gills are still dark and he threw up this morning. I cant put him in the fridge i have nothing to put him in and mum doesnt like the idea.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1