Question: Best gender/color combination for two axies?

Zonadow

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Zonadow
I'm planning on getting two axolotls in a 20 gallon tank and I was wondering what the best gender combination is.
I'm not very keen on cleaning unfertilized eggs out of a 20 gallon tank if females regularly produce eggs, fertilized or not. I haven't seen anything anywhere on the internet about this.
I do not plan to breed my axies, these two will be my first aquatic, semi-aquatic, amphibious or any sort of water animal I have ever had. The only animals I have had or taken part in caring for is cats, hamsters and a ball python.
I've heard Wild Types tend to be more aggressive towards non-wild types if kept in a tank with another non-wild type? I want to get at least one leucistic, and if that's the case I simply won't get a wild type to prevent any injuries.
I'm inexperienced so forgive me if this is a dumb question; but do axolotls get territorial? I've heard they tend to nip at each other and cause a little damage if kept in a small tank, so I'm getting a 20 gallon to keep peace - but the only other problem is, if I get two males, or two females, will they get territorial and nip at each other?
I'm not planning on getting a male and a female because I don't want to wind up with fertilized eggs.

TL;DR version: I'm an axie rookie and I want 2 axolotls in a 20 gallon, but I'm not sure whether unfertilized eggs will be involved if I get two females, or territorial fighting will ensue with two males, and I don't want to get a male and female for risk of fertilized eggs.

I would have either males or females. I would not mix the sexes as they will produce many eggs. Females who have been kept away from males rarely if ever lay eggs.
I personally have 3 males. A 6 year old wild male, his 3 year old melanoid son and an older leucistic. I have never seen any aggression,though at feeding time if they are too close together the occasional nip does occur.

I'll most likely get two males then. Thank you for your help!

I have a leucistic and wild type who get along very well. They are both males. I got them from the same breeder, so they have have "grown up" together. They are about 5-6 inches.

Thank you both, because of you two I've decided on two boys, a wild type and a leucistic.

I've also heard these things, but you have take the bad with the good. Most of the time nipping only occures when they are younge so i wouldnt worry about that. Breeding doesnt always happen just in some cases.:happy:

if you're gonna get two i think a wild and luesistic is a nice combo.

You get as close to they generally in the wild and also the more desirable pet white colouration.

Personally i like both, but i couldn't see luesistics lasting long in the wild, stick out like a sore thumb. No wonder they lay so many eggs.

Your first obstacle is that you are in California. It is illegal to keep any Ambystomid in California without a permit. I don't think permits are readily available to the general public.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back