FYI: Gomez has a new friend!

ted22

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Ed
Hellooo all

Last saturday I got myself another beautiful axolotl, he (i think its a he, hard to tell at the mo) is a goldie about 16/17cm long and in great condition (unbelivable condition actually) his gills are huge and flowing (way bigger than Gomez's) he also has some amazing reflective metallic pigment going on on his gills and tail, makes him look like he's covered in that gold leaf stuff, very nice! Hes got a lovely little face and is aways hungry (when he's not eating he's poopin, I forgot how much these little guys poop with the daily feeding, its insane!) hes already caught himself one of my whitecloud minnows, readily excepts all the food I offer him and is doing all the right things so im pretty convinced he is in excellent health (only had him 6days and he's already grown by about 1cm!) Im hoping within the next month or two I should be able to get another couple of inches on him then introduce him to his big brother Gomez! I am still abit concerned about introducing him to gomez's tank even though he seems too big to be eaten (length wise) the new guys head would fit abit too perfectly into gomez's mouth!

Unfortuantly i am unable to post any pics using these computers at work but I will get some up for you all at the soonest opportunity!

(ooh walking into my fish shop I was soo suprised when i saw no gravel in the axie tanks! They actually listened to all my nagging about it, RESULT!!!!)

Still no name, Ive been calling him Mojo (after Mojo-jojo the evil monkey) but im not sure about it because he looks more like a Cuthbert or a Dylan, (any suggestions welcome!)

Pics coming very soon!

Laters guys!

How can you post up without giving us even one pic? I call shenanigans ;)

Nice one mate, I really want a Golden but there are just none around these parts and to rear a load of eggs in the hope of one is just silly.

How old is the little one, i.e. what size?

You're doing daily feedings? Should I be doing daily with my little one?

I'm gonna be weary about the size difference till they're the same size. Even if the little one is too big to be eaten, surely the attempting to eat him might get him injured?

Plus I've now gotta either match is to Freds size or Barney's so I think I'll be holding out till Barney and Fred are in together,

Good work Ted, glad to see the update and look forwards to more media.

Last edited:
Ha, shenanigans indeed!

For all you lot know I could be lying about my new axie haha!

Hes about 7in at the mo so im sure hes too big to be eaten but he's about quarter the girth of Gomez so as soon as im sure enough that his head is too wide to fit in Gomez's big gob il get em together!

And feeding wise I fed gomez daily until he was about 8-9in then i fed every other day and now he's at 11/12in i am feeding him twice a week!

I'd feed daily at least up to 6in in size, I dunno if this is the right thing to do but at that size they are still growing very quick so im pretty sure all their food will be put into maximum growth, maybe this is why gomez has got so big in such a short amount of time?

I plan on feeding my new littl'un daily untill it looks like he needs to cut down ie: starts getting fat, then go to every other day (width of tummy should decrease abit) then a few months down the line when starts getting abit of chub cut down to twice weekly and hopefully should stay at a nice healthy size. It worked like this for Gomez (although I would say he is a tad over weight at the mo, hence why ive now gone down to twice weekly feeding now!) I really dont know if this is the way to do it but its worked for me and Gomez!

I will get pictures up soon promise, hopefully by the weekend or by next tuesday at the latest! :happy:

Congrats on your new axie cant wait to see the pics :) Mojo is a great name (thats what my leucistic's called nothing do with an evil monkey though :)

I feed all mine daily and they are 5 inches odd and have had 3 experienced guys on here telling me to do that :)

Mine to have grown so quickly infact Mojo is by far the biggest followed by Jabba my wild and last is Finley my golden albino bless him!!

All the best with your new axie :)

looks like daily it is.

Barney will be happy, but I don't think Fred will be as he's strictly on every 2 days due to his rotund belly.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back