Just a little update

lindwurmx

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Display Name
Andrew
Hey all you peeps. Just an update on my axie. His name's puff and here are his pics. Does he look healthy to you guys?

I'm just asking cuz i'm paranoid. Also do any of you have a 'vegetarian' axolotl? Puff doesn't really like earthworms or those frozen tubifex worms in a cube. But he loves his hikari carnivore pellets. I'm just trying to get him to eat a worm or 2 a week to supplement his diet. Any suggestions?

Yeah and his right fore leg is kindda bent or hurt i think. He's been like that since i've got him. You guys think its ok for him to be like that?

Attachments

• Puff 2.jpg
    Puff 2.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 277
  • Puff 3.jpg
    Puff 3.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 246
  • Puff 5.jpg
    Puff 5.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 245
What a little cracker...he has a huge smile!

I am pretty sure you will not find a vegetarian axolotl, keep offering him the live earthworms. :D

One of the photo's shows some stones in the tank..these are a problem as axolotl are prone to ingesting them. You would be amazed at their ability to consume quite large stones.:eek:

What a cute lil fella! Gomez diddnt take to earthworms for ages, was digging em up from all over the place to find ones he'd like so decided to try ones especially bred to be food ordered from my local pet shop and he cant get enough of them!

Untill I got him on the worms I fed him as much of a variety of bugs as possible (crickets, locusts, mealworms, waxworms, woodlice etc) all gutfed to the max with lots of healthy stuff and calcium dust to try and get as much nutrients into him as possible. Worms are great as they have all the nutrients an axie should ever need, everything else is either lacking in something or are too fatty or have too much chitin (hard shell on mealworms) to be fed as a staple diet but with enough variety and as long as the bugs are loaded with vitamins and other nutrients your axie should get everything it needs!

I now just feed worms and all the other bugs are just an occasional treat!

Im sure he'll take to them eventually try ordering some!

Yeah and as Julia said, you would not believe what these guys can fit in their mouths and recently a few people have posted a few x-ray shots with stones scarily similar in size to some of the smaller ones you have there stuck in axie bellies, I'd remove them just to be safe!

Last edited:
if he's eating carnivore pellets then he's in no way a vegetarian :tongue:

Hey everyone. Thanks for the replies.

Haha ture i guess i should have said humane instead. Haha

Yeah i'll keep trying to get him to eat the worms hopefully it won't take too long.

Stones: I've been trying to find aquarium sand but all the pet shops i've been to so far only have gravel. Any other types of sand you guys suggest using? I find the stones in my tank tend to trap dirt and puff keeps rearraging them anyway.

Ps do you guys think he's overfed? I think he has a slight belly. I;ve been feeding him roughly 5 pellets a day. Sometimes he get a little supper when i come out at night to raid the fridge for myself too.:p

I'll try to get a better quality pic ya.

Attachments

• Puff 7.jpg
    Puff 7.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 234
I'd say he was starting to shape up nicely :) My Husband calls my Lacey, "Fat thing" because her body is as wide as her head, she is perfectly healthy and the right weight :) At the moment she is resting on her jems (huge glass diamonds in pretty colors, they are her favorite reclining chair lol) and so she should be, she's always pretty active when I'm in the kitchen and she'd been doing laps to keep me in view lol.
Your Puff is lovely and has such a gorgeous face, I also love his name :)

Edited for typos :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back