Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newbie Advice

Saint

Reaction score
Hi Forum one and all
I'm new to the forum got reffered here by a local acquatics shop. I took an interest in axolotls recently after many years of keeping coldwater fish. I have been reading up for on these fascinating creatures for a month or two now and have a 30 Litre tank left over from my fish days that came with a filter that has served me well and is suitable up to 40 litre tank. From what I have read Axolotls need large pebbles and a combo of oxygenating plants and plastic ones which I have recently acquired. I have left the water to stand for 3 days now and have treated it with de-chlorinating solution and made sure the PH level is around 7 which I beleive is perfect for axolotls? and I'm just wondering do I need anything else before I go acquire my first axolotl a less powerful filter as my water will not be as deep as before? or anything else?
Thanks in advance and sorry for the essay
Saint

siona

Reaction score
You might want to double check that the tank is big enough. Are you just going to get one? Sounds like you're very prepared :) I would make sure the pebbles are at least the size of the axolotl's head (and a lot of people on here would recommend sand over pebbles as it's easier to keep clean). Good luck getting your new pet!

Saint

Reaction score
Sand over pepples? I shall have to get some sand will pebbles do until then? The filter I have is pretty strong would you advise buying a less powerful filter? or adding a spray bar?

alexx

Reaction score
Axies don't like a lot of current so I would use a spray bar or any type of diffuser with a power filter, or have it on a lower setting if possible!

siona

Reaction score
Sand over pepples? I shall have to get some sand will pebbles do until then?

Yes, pebbles are fine provided they are nice and big and there's no chance of them being swallowed

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I think Siona meant to say we often recommend you use sand instead of pebbles, not physically a layer of sand over a layer of pebbles.

Saint

Reaction score
Ok I shall manufacture a spray bar or would an airstone work? I have an airpump and stone sitting here doing nothing ? Yea I got that Stand instead of pebbles lol Not one one top of the other thanks for clearing it up though.

siona

Reaction score
I think Siona meant to say we often recommend you use sand instead of pebbles, not physically a layer of sand over a layer of pebbles.

Oh yeah, I assumed 'sand over pebbles' = 'sand instead of pebbles' - but thanks for clearing that up! :D

Saint

Reaction score
Ok I shall manufacture a spray bar or would an airstone work? I have an airpump and stone sitting here doing nothing ? Yea I got that Stand instead of pebbles lol Not one one top of the other thanks for clearing it up though.
So yea airstone be good enough? or spray bar on filter?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!