Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl or something else?

georgecrow

Reaction score
Hi
im afraid i can't post a pic at moment but i bought 2 axolotls last weekend ,one melanoid and one wild . the wild is is really big ,even bigger than my golden albino who i thoght was a biggie. anyway they are both lovely but both of their gills a bit stumpy bt what ive really noticed today is the wild one -his tail starts from half way down his back and all my others and pics ive seen [im quite obsessed and have looked at lots] start just behind the gills or shoulders .maybe its me but does look to me quite different is it possible he isnt an axolotl?
ive been keeping axolotls for 4 years bt havent had one this big yet
thanks for any help

siona

Reaction score
how mysterious! Could it possibly be a mutation/birth defect? I'd love to see a photo at some point!

georgecrow

Reaction score
ta ,trying to get a pic but flash not working and just a blur without

georgecrow

Reaction score
hope this pic ok
grimly and cosmo

Attachments

• grimly and cosmo.jpg
    grimly and cosmo.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 335

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Yeah, that's an Axolotl, however, it appears it has been kept in poor water conditions which led to the gills losing their "featheriness" and shrinking.

georgecrow

Reaction score
thanks, i hope they grow back at least a bit .the melanoid i bought with him is the same
gill-wise .i have a golden that had very short gills when i got her 4 years ago they slowly grew back a bit but seemed to really boost when she got a tankmate .this wild one though is almost 13 inches .they seem happy enough and ok otherwise so far so good.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!