Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My axolotl always uproots my plants!

tianh

Reaction score
What do you guys use to keep love plants root in your tank? I have been replanting my java fern everyday and when I come home from school I see it floating on top of the tank yet again!

I assume I could put some small rocks by the plants but im afraid my axolotl will eat the rocks.

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Tie the java fern to either driftwood or a rock to anchor it. You can use cotton thread. When the java fern has attached itself to the wood or rock, just remove the thread.

Crysta

Reaction score
you can also plant your plants and place some large rocks around the base, this should be too heavy for your axies to move.

ted22

Reaction score
Haha yeah axies do that! Your only option is to tie it down or use some large rocks like the others have said, i had to replace all my plants with plastic ones for exactly this reason even if it was weighted down Gomez would still tear it to shreds!

BadLilMama

Reaction score
cut up a coke bottle to make a little tube shield to put around the bottom and stems of your plant, and dig it down into your substrate. as long as there are no sharp edges it should solve the problem :eek:

Jizupuen

Reaction score
Mine does the exact same thing. i have sword plants and she pulls them up and then sits on top of them at the surface. ive given up on trying to keep them down because my axolotl seems really content with just lounging around on them.

Attachments

• 0226111922 (2).jpg
    0226111922 (2).jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 463

mewsie

Reaction score
Jizu, that's too funny!

Damn us pesky humans keep coming along and re-planting everything the axies have taken all that time over digging up. I can just imagine them waking up after a nice snooze and sighing cause they've gotta dig it up all over again!

In terms of how I spoil the fun for my lot, I've actually discovered hair ties are brilliant for the job, stretch around rocks really easily, and I've got tons of them lying around. Just need to make sure it isn't too tight. (or loose)

I also use cotton, like Eric said. Super easy to wrap around larger objects, I used this for attaching a load of moss to a root ornament.

I was worried that they we gonna uproot all my grass, as they kept snapping at it and pulling it out, but they seem to have realised that it feels nice on their tummies, and are leaving it well alone now!

mewsie

Reaction score
I had never thought of hair ties...that seems like a brilliant idea.

As long as they don't ping off into the face of one of the axolotls! *snigger*

It seems the fabric winding on them grips well when it's wet, and it's softer than an elastic band.

My hair is getting all in my way now though.

Colinna

Reaction score
I've used rubberbands to anchor my annubis to the logs/rocks. Everything else has large river rocks around the base to keep them down. I haven't had a problem yet...touch wood!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1