Illness/Sickness: Attacked by plecostamus

raven83

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have just taken in, yesterday a female leuthistic type, around 4 inches (she's so sweet, I've named her 'sprite.'

Anyway, her previous owner kept her and another axie in a 13 inch tank, into which he decided, when the axies were 6 months old to add some fish.:eek:
But not just any fish, no he added Oscars, a huge plecostamus and several big aggressive african cichlids :eek::eek::eek:

Now sprite is wounded and her companion is no-more :(
Considering the fish she was put in with, she is lucky to be alive. Now I am trying to nurse her back to health. She is a little trooper and seems to be healing well, ( I'm told her gills were completly ripped off, but are growing back well) - her worst injury was from the plec. who sucked a large area of skin from her back and also a large piece of dorsal fin. Salt baths are out due to these open wounds.

I am keeping her in dark, cool tank, can't fridge her as I don't have a fridge at present.

I have already had some excelent advice (thanks Mel) but would like as much advice, suggestions, anecdotes as poss. (preferably ones with a happy ending-I'm pretty worried about her.) from all you much more experienced than mysely axie lovers.

Thanks people

You are in good hands with Mel.
Just make sure she is kept cool , and her water clean. If she gets any cotton wool like growth on her then you may need to consider salt baths.
Offer her food, ideally earthworms. She should make a good recovery.
Would you possibly be able to take some pictures of her for us ? It may be useful to be able to see the damage that has been done by the pleco.

Hi, thanks, yes Mel is very knowledgable, I will try to get a good photo of her injuries when shes settled a bit. I am trying to get her to take earthworms, she has had a few little bits, but she was fed veggie sausage before (really) and seemsreluctant to eat much. I think she took a few pieces of worm overnight so I'm hopeful she will start eating soon.

I don't really have any anecdotes or advice, but just wanted to say that I'm sending good vibes your way. Hope your little one will be alright!

Thanks. She's showing willing to eat (earthworms chopped in half /pieces) she takes the food the spits it out, I expect this is because her previous diet of soya sausage didn't put up as much of a fight as a worm, but I will persavere as it can only be a good thing that she has an appitite. Her mouth looks clean and healthy so I expect her food refusal is psychological rather than phisiological, at this point x

Your poor axie thank god you came along, wish you all the best and with Mel & Julia you are in safe hands, keeping everything crossed x

Okay, so I'm bringing up an old thread here, but I'm just wondering where I have to go fishing to catch myself a nice supply of veggie sausages?!
Didn't realise they were naturally occuring!!! :eek:
Oh, hang on,if I need to fish for them, then surely that'd mean that vegetarians shouldn't be eating them :confused: Do I need to get rid of the ones in my freezer?!

Sorry, but that's really bugging me - if an animal is carnivorous, don't feed it soya, if it's herbivorous, don't give it sausages... I wonder if they were cooked 1st.

Bah! MUPPET!!! :mad:

How is the little 'un doing BTW, or shouldn't I be asking? :-(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back