Newbie axolotl

pinkdwarf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i think i posted on wrong thread b4.im new to this site and have been interested in axolotls for a few years now.i first saw one in a garden centre and thought it was so cute! i now feel i have done enough research to have one.which i plan to buy on saturday me and the kids are soo excited lol.i have in my tank play sand as ive been told that they eat gravel! and i have plants and a tunnel and maybe buy a plant pot or sumthing aswell.iplan to feed it on live,frozen and pellets? how many pellets do i give? and can i feed live and pellets together ? also could i have 2 in my tank if i buy them together the same day? my tank is 3ft ani help appreciated thanx

You can feed both pellets and live food as a diet. The bulk of the food should be earthworms, but pellets can be used as well. Sounds like you have the tank setup well, and the only thing you should consider before buying your Axolotls is how you want to cycle your tank.

Here is a link to cycling: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml

What type of filtration are you going to use?

Other than that, I think you are good to go!

hi i have the fluval 2+ which has flow control so it will be on top of the water on low flow will that be ok?

Yeah, I used a fluval 1+ on my tank while my Axolotls were small, but upgraded to a fluval 205. I prefer the canister, as internal filters can sometimes produce heat and can become a nuisance if you are having problems controlling the temperature. Just make sure the flow isn't too powerful or causing turbulence in the water.

Two would defiantly live happily in a 3foot tank, just make sure they are the same size or one may eat the other :eek: ... no joke... it happens. Oh and don't put any other fishies in there or they may think axi gills are an appealing snack

Apart from that it all sounds great, enjoy your axi's. They are fantastic pets!

hi no i defo wont put fish in the tank i just want 2 axolotls lol.im going to a garden centre in a place called cannock as thats the only place i know that sells them around here.pets at home dont even no wat one is! the ones i have seen are quite big already which i think would be better as i will no its already doing well then thanx :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back