Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Healthy appetite ... how much should i feed him ?

rexx

Reaction score
My new little axolotl is a very hungry little fella and loves his earth worms. When i got him the guy in the shop said he ate up to 5 earth worms that day i bought him.

So my question is, how many earth worms should i feed him each day ? Ive started with 1 in the morning , 1 mid afternoon .... 1-3 a day too many? i dont want him to lose any weight , but i dont want to over feed him either!

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
I wonder the same about my guy all the time... his stomach bulge is never bigger than his head so I don't think I'm overfeeding but sometimes he looks as me and I think he might be hungry

mewsie

Reaction score
And how big are the worms?

I monitor how big their tummies are looking, I tend to feed them (20cm ish) a medium sized worm (6 or so cm when not stretched out) 4 times a week. I think they would eat as many worms as you give them, they are quite opportunistic! I love feeding time!

My littlest one, who is only about 13cm eats the same as the big ones, and the occasional extra, yet is still really skinny, I think he's putting all his energies into growing (FAST!), and all the swimming he does!

rexx

Reaction score
My little guy is roughly about 16cm long. The worms i feed him can be all different sizes! probably 6cm would be the largest worm i have fed him .(but i dont find too many that size!) Well that i have been able to find in my little worm farm! and yes the same for me, he looks at me like he is hungry too and when i put my fingers above his head outside the tank he swims up to it ... but still hasn't learnt that when he sees the tongs its dinner time! (like my other little axie i had).

Im getting into a habbit of feeding him up to 3 worms a day , hope this isn't bad!

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Your axolotl is at a size where it only needs to be feed 2 or 3 times a week at most. Just throw in a couple worms at each feeding and it should be OK. If its belly starts to get a lot wider than its head then it is time to back off on the amount of feedings.

rexx

Reaction score
Your axolotl is at a size where it only needs to be feed 2 or 3 times a week at most. Just throw in a couple worms at each feeding and it should be OK. If its belly starts to get a lot wider than its head then it is time to back off on the amount of feedings.

Thanks justin , ill slow the feeding down! his body looks no way near the size of his head anyhow!! hehe

mewsie

Reaction score
If he's still really skinny, you might wanna feed him a little more for a while until he starts to look better, then back off again, although you'll still get hungry eyes :p

rexx

Reaction score
If he's still really skinny, you might wanna feed him a little more for a while until he starts to look better, then back off again, although you'll still get hungry eyes :p

Hahaha, I hate those hungry eyes!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!