Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Egg-laden ghost shrimp?

TJ

Reaction score
Long ago I added some Japanese shrimp (ghost shrimp?) to a newt tank but the newts never showed any interest in them, and the animals have since cohabited that tank peacefully. Today, I noticed that one shrimp was unlike the rest, which are almost transparent. This one is transparent too, but it's full of something yellow. Might these be shrimp eggs?

39114.jpg

E

edward

Yep, those are eggs.
The eggs will hatch and the larva will suspend at the water surface and feed on zooplankton. However, they do not do well against filters or predation by the adults.

Ed

J

jennifer

Interesting. One of my ghost shrimp carried eggs at one point, but the eggs were green, not yellow. We probably have different species. I never saw any offspring.

A

alexander

These Atyids (most likely Caridina or Paratya sp.) are not closely related to North American (Palaemonid) ghost shrimp (Palaemonetes spp.). Based on egg size, it is almost certain that the shrimp in question adhere to the "primitive" reproduction strategy; the initially planktonic young require saline water for proper development. In nature, such larvae would float downstream to estuaries or oceanic waters, eventually making their way back as benthic juveniles.}

(Message edited by Ouassous on June 13, 2006)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1