Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cynops Orientalis/Cynops Pyrrhogaster Breeders?

BrooksiderB

Reaction score
I've been very interested in getting Chinese or Japanese Firebelly newts for 2 or 3 years now and am just now able to, but have found out with a bit of research that they are in the list of 201 import banned newts and salamanders in the US. I would still love to pick up 3 or 4 Fire Bellied Newts in my state without having to worry about the import ban, but I haven't been able to find any local breeders in Ohio or pet stores that sell them, so I thought I'd ask here.

paraselenic

Reaction score
Hey Brooksider!

I'm brand new here-- and I came here with the exact same goal. I had firebelly newts back in 1991, and then went for awhile without them. I'd been looking for them on an off for the past 15 years (nothing serious, but just noted how hard they were to find.) When I had my son, I wanted to get some newts so that we could share that together. Which brought me here-- where I learned about how horrible firebelly newt collection/ treatment is, and how particularly difficult they are to captively breed-- meaning, not only are they hard to find, if you do find them, it's possibly a result of some shady and horrible treatment.

With that knowledge, I searched and found a reputable captive breeder of alpine newts and got a couple of those instead. They are very similar to firebellies, in color, tank set up, size, etc.

If you are open to it, I would recommend meeting with a breeder in ohio and seeing alpines up close-- I'm really happy with my pair.

BrooksiderB

Reaction score
Oh whoops, I'm sorry I just realized that the state line shipping ban was misinterpreted a while ago so if anyone breeds Fire Belly Newts reguardless of state let me know!

BrooksiderB

Reaction score
I learned about how horrible firebelly newt collection/ treatment is, and how particularly difficult they are to captively breed-- meaning, not only are they hard to find, if you do find them, it's possibly a result of some shady and horrible treatment.

With that knowledge, I searched and found a reputable captive breeder of alpine newts and got a couple of those instead. They are very similar to firebellies, in color, tank set up, size, etc.

If you are open to it, I would recommend meeting with a breeder in ohio and seeing alpines up close-- I'm really happy with my pair.

Aww man thats really sad. Fire Belly Newts are basically my dream pet so I'd prefer to have them over another species of newt, but if I end up not being able to find any I'll definitely look into some other species.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I should really be moving this thread to the wanted area as it's basically a wanted add. I'm not though, because paraselemic's good advice will be helpful to anyone new to the hobby and looking for firebellys.
In future please keep all adverts in the trade area!

stanleyc

Reaction score
Aww man thats really sad. Fire Belly Newts are basically my dream pet so I'd prefer to have them over another species of newt, but if I end up not being able to find any I'll definitely look into some other species.

The animals that have been kept in bad conditions were the animals directly imported from overseas. Those animals were often shipped in subpar conditions and were distributed to petshops that don't know anything about keeping newts. So you'll often get animals that are sick, and even if you nurse them back to health, you would've been supporting an unhealthy industry. However, with the ban on overseas import, you're not gonna find Fire Belly Newts in petshops anymore, so that's not an issue. If you can find a captive breeder that knows what he/she is doing, then you should have no problems. I'm not sure what the status of the interstate transport ban is currently so you might still not be able to find someone willing to risk shipping over state lines just yet. But transporting eggs interstate was never banned, so that's an option if you're up to raise the larvae.

In any case, alpine newts are awesome, easy to take care of just like the firebellies, so that's a great option if you have access to them. I have a small group of young alpines myself, and they're absolutely beautiful newts. I just don't want to discourage you from going for firebellies if you can get them. As long as you're getting them from a good captive breeder, you should be set.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!